Shorts vs Pants (HS Ball)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Once most girls have worn pants for a season or two, they wouldn't even think of wearing shorts. Now that the manufacturers are coming out with low rise pants, no more rolled waistbands, either. I agree with Amy that girls can learn to slide correctly in shorts, but I buy a lot less neosporin when my kids wear pants.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
HS varsity Captain tell everyone what to wear at each game...only rule is that if they wear shorts on a cold day and whine then for the rest of the year I choose what they wear!!

My older DD hated pants ~ much preferred shorts. She felt they were cooler and easier to move in. Never had a problem with sliding, because she had been taught correctly. (Incidentally ~ worst sliding "ouch" she had was in HS ball in pants when the pants ripped.) She also hates sleeves. Of course, she will wear either if that is the uniform.

My younger DD has no real preference. She'll wear either shorts or pants, but prefers shorts on the really hot days.

My niece played for many years ~ in shorts ~ in Minnesota even during the early season. Her take on it was that it was mostly the dads who had always worn basebal pants that had any issue with their daughter's wearing shorts. I thought that was an interesting opinion!

DD's HS team wears shorts. A girl on the team last year said she wanted them to get pants. Coach told her no way. She'd worn them with her tb team and didn't have a problem sliding (small, boney child). In shorts, she didn't slide for fear of getting skinned. She wears the shorts, but you can't really tell because her legs are so covered up with pads. DD has never worn pants, so doesn't have a comparison. HS season started last week (hottest week of the year and one day last week, it was the hottest day IN THE COUNTRY) and the shorts are working well. Have compression pants for cold weather, which is a rare occurrance here.

Jul 9, 2010
It's funny - I've always wondered why, here in FL, we wear pants, and up north you wear shorts. Around here, they wear shorts in LL until about age 12 or 13, then they wear pants. Almost all TB teams wear only pants.

We played a TB team a few weeks ago (18U) that was wearing shorts - first one that I have seen in a very long time. The girls were saying "these guys are stuck in LL - we have to smoke them" (or teenage words to that effect). Last summer, we played a team from the Netherlands, and they were in shorts. They got a pass, though, because they were international.

They will wear shorts to practice, but not to games, in HS or TB.

Jul 26, 2010
Honestly, it's purely aestetic. By the time you add sliding/compression shorts, knee pads, and socks, the "temperature differential" is purely in ones head. If the girl feels she was experiencing more heat in pants, it's probably because those pants were black or dark blue, not because they were long.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This thread was resurrected by a troll that was trying to sell underwear. He has since been banned.

He had posted his link on 2 other topics, here.

I thought some of you might be wondering what happened.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I didn't click on the link, but the mod said that is was a pic of a guy in a thong.

We have that thread about underwear and I guess that is what attracted him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101