Sharing GoPro files

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
I’ve been filming games with my GoPro for a couple of months now. Some parents on the team would like to use some of the footage for skills videos, but I don’t have the time to edit it out for them. How is everyone sharing the files with the rest of the team/guest players? Dropbox or something else?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
As files have gotten bigger over the years, we have given up on uploading full games to the cloud (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.). Even with exceptional internet, it can be a timely process. We upload "hero shots" (home runs, great plays, KO's) to Facebook. As for the full game video, we generally buy a new external USB hard drive at the beginning of a season. 2TB is a nice round number. At the end of a full week/weekend of ball, we dump the unprocessed video to the hard drive in a standardized file folder structure. We pass the drive to a single family and tell them to pass it on when they copy the files. If the hard drive doesn't return the next week, nobody gets video. Seems to always work itself out.

As for folder structure, we do the following (in order of the sub-folder structure):
Date: 111318
Game: G1
Camera: HERO7B

We start and stop between innings so generally you are left with a single file for each half inning. If you played 7 innings, you have 14 files. If you want to find something at the bottom of the 5th inning, you open the 10th file. It makes it much easier than dealing with "chaptered" files (GoPro breaking up files once they get to a certain size).

EDIT: This is the drive we have been using recently with no failures at this point:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Photography-STDR2000100/dp/B00H4XH5FY
If the link doesn't work (this site hijacks amazon links to VigLinks), just google search the model number: B00H4XH5FY

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
Lots of good advice here. We publish unlisted on YouTube. Works great. I wish YouTube would have a password access only status you could assign to certain videos then give out the password. I guess that would be just like drop box :)

Jul 9, 2016
I’ve been filming games with my GoPro for a couple of months now. Some parents on the team would like to use some of the footage for skills videos, but I don’t have the time to edit it out for them. How is everyone sharing the files with the rest of the team/guest players? Dropbox or something else?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drop Box Free 2 GB?

Drop Box Business 1TB? $100.00 year?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/billing/cost

Live Stream to YouTube - Mevo - Full Game - Unlisted or Listed or Private - Free

Have talked to a Team this year that hangs GoPros copy cats - all around the Fences to catch infield plays and outfield plays.

Then he mentioned he has a souped up server and will go through and save the best plays of the day and put in a players Folder.

Then at the end of the year, party , will playback all the best plays of the season for the team. and will give out the File to the Family for skill videos highlights.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2016
I started recording games this season and went in thinking I would post full games to youtube for all the team's family to watch. Well, that quickly went out the door when the first upload of the first full game was going to take something like 10 hrs to upload. That's one game, not one tournament. So you figure 5 to 7 games per tournaments and it would literally take days to upload. So like Josh above (thanks for the Linkspyder Josh) I simply pull out the highlights from each game and make a single highlight video for each tournament for the whole team. Once done with the tournament highlight video I drop each highlight into separate files for each player for future individual player highlight videos. Not what I envisioned, but it works.

Apr 28, 2014
I started recording games this season and went in thinking I would post full games to youtube for all the team's family to watch. Well, that quickly went out the door when the first upload of the first full game was going to take something like 10 hrs to upload. That's one game, not one tournament. So you figure 5 to 7 games per tournaments and it would literally take days to upload. So like Josh above (thanks for the Linkspyder Josh) I simply pull out the highlights from each game and make a single highlight video for each tournament for the whole team. Once done with the tournament highlight video I drop each highlight into separate files for each player for future individual player highlight videos. Not what I envisioned, but it works.

Use Freemake..
1080i uploads take 3-4 hours..
Set them at night.. then next one in the morning before you leave for work. Takes a little time but we'll worth it.

Jul 27, 2015
Like others, I currently load all our games unlisted to YouTube the give the parents, and girls, the link. The girls watch it far more than the parents do. Anyhow, when I upload the video, it is something like 17 GB. After Youtube processes it, if I download it to my machine again, it is about 2 GB. My plan to to download all the videos off YouTube and put it in someone's drop box to make life easier for them if they want to grab off clips. One person said they had one, but so far they not given me the information.

The only limitation with this plan is if you have any copyright infringements on the video (due to music being played between innings) then YouTube won't let you download.

May 16, 2016
I'm using Google Drive. You get 15GB for free. And 100 GB is only $2/month. I combine gopro raw files into one file big file for entire game using Photo Shop Elements video editor. I usually down convert to 720p, to make files smaller and more manageable. Then send out a "share" link to team, and they can stream or download game videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802