Share a memory when your team was clearly outclassed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
I wasn't knocking it, just have never seen it done before. Had you seen it done before? What state are you in? Just curious if this is a regional thing or what.

I'm in Ohio. honestly, HC and I carry the pocket radar to usually judge how our own pitchers are doing during games. Speed of a certain pitch, etc. That's prolly first time I've purposely gunned opposing pitchers, pregame.

It would open many eyes to see a true team of D1 level players look / play like regardless of age. All these teams running around calling themselves 'A" this or "national' that.

Nov 13, 2020
One of our first Local TB tournaments we played in 10u, my DD was one of 2 pitchers for this tournament. They were both having a bad day. My DD just couldn’t get a strike in, tears rolling down her face, had to keep playing as the other pitcher was also having a meltdown and after about 7 runs in (it was so rough).. the other team ended up stepping off the base to allow the inning to end. The coach from the other team talked to our coach prior to doing so and was nice enough to praise my DD in the end for staying up there and to keep her chin up. Big big learning experience for us all. So happy my DD learned from it and used that experience to also get better.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
We were a pretty good team just starting to play college showcase ball. We are in a showcase and get matched up with the Rock National team, girls all ready committed to playing in several D1 programs. They flew them in from all over. Any way, my DD in RF, first ball hit is a can of corn between her an CF who have played together since they were 8. Ball drops between them as they both stood there looking at each other! The rout was on after that. I joked that they could have thrown their bat girl in to rope a double into a gap, it was that bad. Luckily only lasted a few innings.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I've mentioned this here before, but second round of the state tournament in 2019. Our girls played the best game they've ever played. We held a vastly superior team to just four runs. Defense made plays, our pitcher wasn't walking girls. They played so well.

But they had a pitcher the likes of which our girls had never seen before. 21 up, 21 down, 21 strikeouts. We hit a couple foul balls, and that was it. Offensively, we had no chance, but at no point did our girls quit. Those types of games usually turn into 4-inning blowouts real fast, but they battled the entire way.

It's one of my favorite memories of that group.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
We are from the Midwest. For 9U Nationals we took a trip to Missouri. Our first pool game was against a team from Tx. The only ball we put in play was caught by a great play in center. That team went on to win the tournament with no losses. We learned, don't mess with Texas! lol

Apr 20, 2015
Our first trip to "nationals" this year, and the first team I walk up and watch warming up was one of the Bandits teams (eventual tournament winner). I didn't realize who they were at first and distinctly remembering thinking, "If all the other teams look like this we might as well get right back in the car and head back to St. Louis." Luckily that wasn't the case.
What age and which nationals?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
Another memory was second year of 14's, that fall we traveled to Atlanta for Legacy. We tooled up with 2 new pitchers and faced a stacked Glory team. About 10 minutes before game time the backstop started to get filled with SEC coaches. It was a whos who, Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee and Auburn. We knew they weren't there to see us. The game got out of control early and DD was called in to pitch the 4th inning. I think we were down 14-1. She had a good change up and it was working. She held her own and during the sixth inning got into some trouble. Worked her way out of a bases loaded jam with a pretty change to end the inning. I peaked over at the backstop and the Auburn coach (later learned it was the pitching coach) was smiling and gave DD a wink and clap. Clearly we were overmatched but we faced that same team the following summer and beat em' 4-2 in an epic game. I truly believe that you learn more when you taking a beating then when you give one.

Jan 22, 2011
Year my DD was born I helped a buddy coach our league's first '10u-C' team. We did a few friendlies in June, but didn't get into a tournament until early July. Last tournament we faced a team we only got one base-runner on.... and the catcher immediately picked her off 1B.

When my DD played 8u summer ball we played a team from that league 3 times. We lost 2 close games and won a close game.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
Ever find your team in a lopsided contest?
It happened many times in the early years. Not so much recently.

I have two (the second one is a humble brag)

14u. The other team had a dominate pitcher, and we could not touch her. We also made a decent number of errors. They small balled us like crazy. We got beat 10-0. We did not get a hit. So what did we do for the next 2 weeks of practices (we had games the next weekend) 11 hours of practice. 30 minutes total was spent on hitting. We were freaking no-hit but the coaches were upset we gave up 10 runs and had errors. You can't win a game if you can't get a hit.

Second year 14u. She was on a different team. We played in the ASA States. The national power house team in the state played in this lowly tournament so they could qualify for nationals. This was so lowly for them they did not even record a single game of the tournament in Game Changer. They already had 2 girls committed to D1 colleges on the team. My daughter did not start the game pitching but came in relief and pitched 4 or so innings. I was very interested to see how she stacked up against the best. The verdict? She did not belong on the same field with those girls. She got smacked around like crazy.

Now the humble brag - first year of 18u (so 2 years and 3 months later) my daughter's new team faced this exact same team again in a friendly. The two girls who were committed to D1 at 14u were still D1 players - they just were committed to two different D1 schools. Pretty much the entire roster was all D1 players now. My daughter pitched the first two innings. First batter got fooled on a curve ball and hit an easy roller to third. Great - one out. Nope, ball got thrown into RF so now there is a runner at second with no outs. I was saying "no you cant have errors to this team" My daughter then struck out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th batters. I did not have my radar gun out, but it was the first time I knew she was hitting over 60 mph.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28