Shameful!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
Shameful!

Yeah first year 10U and we had the most horrible deal that was just beyond my wife and me.

Game has 8 minutes and we’re down a run. The other team is home and is running the clock out with the slowest walk to the plate ever and the 3rd base coach telling his 1st and 2nd batter to step out between each pitch to 3-4 practice swings.

Performs an illegal substitution with players taking more time away.

Two out and telling the 3rd batter to tie her already tied shoe. She takes a knee and takes off each batting glove and stacks them in a nice pile and basically does nothing to her laces except fiddle with them with her back to the home plate ump.

The entire bleacher for our team is going ballistic telling the ump her shoe is tied and your going to just let her run time off like that and the ump does nothing.

She does the O.J. and can’t seem to get the gloves back on and then performs her best Nomar impersonation with the Velcro like a dozen times.

Again the entire bleacher for our team is going ballistic with the crap being so blatant and still the ump does nothing.

By the time the girl makes it back the plate after several practice swings the game is called.

What other Mickey Mouse B.S. to run a game out have you done coaching. Don't be shy if your "that guy or girl" post it up so we know who you are!!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
When you introduce a clock into a game that is not designed for it there will be those who take advantage of it.

Apr 12, 2015
As has been said, if they are going to institute a time limit then playing the clock becomes part of the strategy. Both the good and the bad.

1st year 10u, you might as well get used to it. You will see it for a few more years.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I always love the posts by the first year 10U parents. First of all, it's only 10U. Your DD is NOT playing for the Dallas Charge, Akron Racers or any other NPF team making millions. Second, even if she were, it's still a game. Winning or losing this game means little in the grand scheme of life. Sit back, relax and watch your DD have fun playing a sport she loves. Enjoy the time spent with her and your family. Create lasting memories that you and the rest of your family can talk about for years to come. That's what this is all about and when the time comes for your DD to go off and play in college, it's all you have left. Besides, by the end of the season, you won't even remember this game.

ETA: Most tournaments have gone to a time limit-finish the inning or time limit-finish the inning + one more. This gets rid of a lot of this stuff.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Sometime you'll be up a run with minutes left and your coach will do some stalling to run out the clock and it won't bother you because it's your team doing it.

May 13, 2012
Some people work in office setting. Some never steal anything not even a paperclip while others see nothing wrong with taking home an occasional pencil or pen, some a pack of printer paper, some a stapler, all the way to embezzlement. Same with coaches and time limits, all have different levels they will go to stalling for a piece of plastic and you will see it all

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Control what you can control! If your dd and/or her team played well and lost then compliment them on how well they did. Life has so many disappointments in store for your dd already. Don't make this something more than it is. As mentioned already, they are 10U. Be glad your dd doesn't play on that team, praise her for her game, and go get an ice cream together and enjoy it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I always love the posts by the first year 10U parents. First of all, it's only 10U. Your DD is NOT playing for the Dallas Charge, Akron Racers or any other NPF team making millions. Second, even if she were, it's still a game. Winning or losing this game means little in the grand scheme of life. Sit back, relax and watch your DD have fun playing a sport she loves. Enjoy the time spent with her and your family. Create lasting memories that you and the rest of your family can talk about for years to come. That's what this is all about and when the time comes for your DD to go off and play in college, it's all you have left. Besides, by the end of the season, you won't even remember this game.

This advice goes for the perpetrators of these antics as well, if not more so.

I agree with you, and other posters, that we have to learn to accept and relax and enjoy a little better.

That said, I doubt all of those posting (including myself) are perfect at following this advice. Maybe those who've been around a while have come to terms with stall tactics (I still think it's bush league, but I don't fret over it), but most parents I know still get riled up at something, even if they hold it inside. It's only human. Most every parent is still working on learning to accept, relax and enjoy a little better, whether they admit it or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28