Severs Disease

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
My daughter had it from about age 11-13. It was bad. She was limping all the time and in a lot of pain. She played basketball and soccer too at the time so she never had a chance to rest it out. Like another poster mentioned she wore heel cups in her cleats and basketball shoes and that seemed to help a bit. She still had to play thru the pain, but it made it a little more bearable. She would also ice after every game - usually thru tears from both the ice and the pain. She is 15 now and perfectly healthy.

Hoping you make it thru this quickly! It is frustrating for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
My kiddo had severs as well. It's a disease that occurs with rapid growth especially in kids that wear a lot of cleats due to the position of the foot in cleats. When caught early it can be helped tremendously by wearing turf shoes or tennis shoes whenever possible and using heal cups to reposition the foot within the shoe. Tulles are the ones I used they're cheap on Amazon. KT tape can provide some support as well. Hope this helps someone...I'm also a pediatrician for over 10yrs and see lots of severs and have fixed every patient with this method...never had to use formal PT or refer to orthopedic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2018
My kiddo had severs as well. It's a disease that occurs with rapid growth especially in kids that wear a lot of cleats due to the position of the foot in cleats. When caught early it can be helped tremendously by wearing turf shoes or tennis shoes whenever possible and using heal cups to reposition the foot within the shoe. Tulles are the ones I used they're cheap on Amazon. KT tape can provide some support as well. Hope this helps someone...I'm also a pediatrician for over 10yrs and see lots of severs and have fixed every patient with this method...never had to use formal PT or refer to orthopedic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are these what you are talking about? The spelling is different though. These are called Tuli's.

Amazon product ASIN B000MSZT7O

Dec 5, 2017
My dd started suffering from this in the winter of 2017 as an 8 yo. Basketball brought it on and then wearing her cleats in softball made it worse that spring. We switched to turf shoes when the field conditions allowed, used the KT tape and biofreeze spray between games at tournaments. Nothing worked 100% but it gave her some relief. She was miserable at times and ended up quitting basketball last winter because it got much worse. So far through this spring and summer it has only flared up intermittently so we are hoping she is about to grow out of it.

Jun 8, 2016
I had this almost 35 years ago. I went to an ortho and they gave me hard plastic heel cups and some stretches to do. I think it went away after a year or so. My DD started having some soreness in that area right around 9 years old so we bought some inserts and have her stretch and ice when it acts up. It isn't real bad and she says it is more of an ache than anything else. She will turn 10 in Sept. and it seems to be almost gone at this point. She has had this sort of achy soreness in one of her wrists as well which seems to coincide with her growth spurts.

Sep 19, 2018
My dd got this last fall at 9 yo. First basketball practice of the year. I understand it is common to flair up when changing sports. Our Podiatrist gave her cups to put in her shoes, insisted on her wearing a compression sock for all sports, and stretching exercises. Everything helped but it did not go away until basketball season was over almost 6 months later.

Also, he recommended Altra running sneakers. https://www.altrarunning.com/ They place the heal and fore foot at the same height, a more natural position. He was OK with no cups if she was in the Altras.

Feb 3, 2016
Goodfeet store inserts help. $1500.00 from our HSA to pay for them so not an option for everyone. Temporary slowness while arch is being reformed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
both DDs have had something similar with their knees, tendons and ligaments growing slower than bones. also put kneecap a little out of position, knee brace that helped keep kneecap in correct position helped.

I also think younger DD has this exact thing couple of years ago, never did get definitive diagnosis, we just had her stretch a lot, advil, ice.

basically their bodies just have to work it out, ie tendons and ligaments need to catch up to bone growth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802