Serious issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Awful situation and one, as a dad, would have me extremely concerned.

I agree with much of what was said. If this girl has made threats against your granddaughter and threatened to harm herself and the coaches and organization know about them they are required to act. If something goes bad they would be civilly and likely criminally liable for not dealing with it.

In my opinion, this is bullying. It may be different than what we usually think of as bullying but that your granddaughter spurned her advances and she is now saying she would kill her and threatening self harm it is psychological bullying. Schools take these matters seriously and teams should also. As was stated above, kids this age are capable of truly awful acts too.

I understand she may be having/had a bad time of it at home. That isn't a reason to turn a blind eye. In fact, it may be all the more reason to get to rhe bottom of it. She may need more help than anyone knows.

Your family's safety and mental well being is the utmost priority. That said, it would be sad for her to lose out on playing the game she enjoys because of all of this.

Good luck.
Awful situation and one, as a dad, would have me extremely concerned.

I agree with much of what was said. If this girl has made threats against your granddaughter and threatened to harm herself and the coaches and organization know about them they are required to act. If something goes bad they would be civilly and likely criminally liable for not dealing with it.

In my opinion, this is bullying. It may be different than what we usually think of as bullying but that your granddaughter spurned her advances and she is now saying she would kill her and threatening self harm it is psychological bullying. Schools take these matters seriously and teams should also. As was stated above, kids this age are capable of truly awful acts too.

I understand she may be having/had a bad time of it at home. That isn't a reason to turn a blind eye. In fact, it may be all the more reason to get to rhe bottom of it. She may need more help than anyone knows.

Your family's safety and mental well being is the utmost priority. That said, it would be sad for her to lose out on playing the game she enjoys because of all of this.

Good luck.

Oct 3, 2019
Thank you! I appreciate everyone’s input. The coach is dealing with it. Evidently, he was unaware of the most recent incidents as they were kept among the girls and didn’t realize the girl was continuing to pursue my GD. He doesn’t want my GD to quit so, hopefully will be able to come up with some resolution.

Feb 3, 2011
Thank you! I appreciate everyone’s input. The coach is dealing with it. Evidently, he was unaware of the most recent incidents as they were kept among the girls and didn’t realize the girl was continuing to pursue my GD. He doesn’t want my GD to quit so, hopefully will be able to come up with some resolution.
I'm glad that some action is being taken. I believe the original response or non-response is indicative of just how under-prepared we are at a societal level to deal with made-for-TV drama in real life. Among some number of people, threats of self-harm are an immediate red flag, especially when there is knowledge of an unstable home life. When that expands to threats towards others, it becomes time-critical, IMO. But many others see it as "acting out" or as" just a phase".

There are many layers to unpack there, and I empathize with your feelings of empathy for this other girl, but your granddaughter's safety has to come first - yes, she's lucky to have 2 loving parents and an incredible grandmother, but also - as you noted - she has done nothing wrong. I hope the other girl is able to get the immediate help she needs, but as you have described the situation, I do not see any way forward with both girls remaining a part of the same group. That's my take from 2000 miles away, though. I wish you all the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22