Sequence?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2020
What does he look like when the pitch isn't inside?

To me he looks pretty much the same with respect to shoulders catching up to hips. Shoulders appear to move even faster actually.

Edit: I see that I read your question in reverse - your asking how he looks on an outside pitch. I would still say the same with respect to shoulders catching up:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
To me he looks pretty much the same with respect to shoulders catching up to hips. Shoulders appear to move even faster actually.

Edit: I see that I read your question in reverse - your asking how he looks on an outside pitch. I would still say the same with respect to shoulders catching up:

maybe it’s my eyes but I see the same here. Shoulders past his hips at POC. 🤷🏻‍♂️

yeah, the shoulders should be moving significantly faster than the previous segment all the way up the chain. Pelvis slowest, shoulders faster, lead arm faster, hands faster, bat the fastest

Aug 20, 2020
My comment/question was with regards to this statement for the inside pitch:

What do you mean by outpacing? More rotation?

Sorry, I misread your original post. I went back to edit my response to add this:

By outpace, I mean that the hips are rotating, and the shoulders are engaging in their own separate rotation on top of that. Thus they rotate faster than the hips do, because those separate rotations are stacked on top of one other. How else do the shoulders catch up to the hips by the time point-of-contact is reached?

Aug 20, 2020
maybe it’s my eyes but I see the same here. Shoulders past his hips at POC. 🤷🏻‍♂️

yeah, the shoulders should be moving significantly faster than the previous segment all the way up the chain. Pelvis slowest, shoulders faster, lead arm faster, hands faster, bat the fastest

Not trying to argue with you, just trying to clarify. I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or agreeing with me. I originally said shoulders catch up to hips. You're saying they get past the hips. You may well be right. In either case, my point is that the shoulders have to be rotating separately on top of the underlying hip rotation in order to either catch up or even surpass the hips.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not trying to argue with you, just trying to clarify. I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or agreeing with me. I originally said shoulders catch up to hips. You're saying they get past the hips. You may well be right. In either case, my point is that the shoulders have to be rotating separately on top of the underlying hip rotation in order to either catch up or even surpass the hips.

yes the shoulders rotate independently of the hips via the obliques.

Reactions: TDS
Aug 20, 2020
yes the shoulders rotate independently of the hips via the obliques.

And would you say their rotation begins immediately at swing launch, or is it delayed to account for sequencing? I would argue shoulder rotation starts at swing launch, without delay, which allows the shoulders to catch up with the hips.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
And would you say their rotation begins immediately at swing launch, or is it delayed to account for sequencing? I would argue shoulder rotation starts at swing launch, without delay, which allows the shoulders to catch up with the hips.

tricky question. When is swing launch to you?

if point of no return is swing launch to you. Then yes the shoulders have rotated some. If launch means something else to you then I would say no. The middle initiates launch. And since there is a sequence involved for max energy transfer; a segment can still shut down before point of no return.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This would be the most efficient sequence IMO..

The hips need to be extending against the obliques contracting during the swing. If this isn't occurring wouldn't the hips just continue to rotate.. Think in terms of a whip/catapult.. The legs are used for leverage against the obliques stretching during the forward move towards the pitcher.. Once the swing begins contraction occurs the feet/legs are simultaneously pushing back against the ground to transfer the energy.. Some call it breaking so one can close the gap in order for the barrel to be whipped.

J1c5pt0.png

I3lbNro.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802