September 1 for Class of 2022

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
So another of DD's teammates received an offer to the same Ivy as my DD. They have played together on the same team with the same coach since they were 10. Would be pretty cool if they played together in college as well.

DD has a call set up for tomorrow with the last Ivy. Process will get interesting from there as the school that offered would like an answer in about 2 weeks.

Oct 5, 2015
So another of DD's teammates received an offer to the same Ivy as my DD. They have played together on the same team with the same coach since they were 10. Would be pretty cool if they played together in college as well.

DD has a call set up for tomorrow with the last Ivy. Process will get interesting from there as the school that offered would like an answer in about 2 weeks.

The Ivy recruiting process is quite unique and can be stressful. Be aware of what will come. Many of your DD teammates will have committed as Jr's or between Jr and Sr year to other schools and your's will still be "unsigned" as nothing is final until fall of sr year. They are looking for you to commit to the process (their version of an offer) and while at some point you have the pre-admissions review to know that you are tracking, I would suggest not closing doors to other potential opportunities that can arise but you should be as up front as you can with any other schools without giving away too much information. Continue communicating with multiple schools as Plan B’s until the “Likely Letter” from Plan A is received.

Enjoy the ride.

Nov 5, 2014
I would suggest not closing doors to other potential opportunities that can arise but you should be as up front as you can with any other schools without giving away too much information
Thanks for the advice. I was definitely debating how much to have her tell the other schools.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So, after no call from her Dream School on Tuesday, DD emailed the coach last night expressing continued strong interest, etc... He responded this AM saying that he's been pretty much exclusively calling middle infielders to this point (DD is a C/1B), but they've been liking her communications and her videos. They've set up a call at lunchtime today. Fingers crossed!

Nov 5, 2014
So, after no call from her Dream School on Tuesday, DD emailed the coach last night expressing continued strong interest, etc... He responded this AM saying that he's been pretty much exclusively calling middle infielders to this point (DD is a C/1B), but they've been liking her communications and her videos. They've set up a call at lunchtime today. Fingers crossed!
Congrats to your DD! Also great info for others to see that persistence can be rewarded.

May 27, 2013
The Ivy recruiting process is quite unique and can be stressful. Be aware of what will come. Many of your DD teammates will have committed as Jr's or between Jr and Sr year to other schools and your's will still be "unsigned" as nothing is final until fall of sr year. They are looking for you to commit to the process (their version of an offer) and while at some point you have the pre-admissions review to know that you are tracking, I would suggest not closing doors to other potential opportunities that can arise but you should be as up front as you can with any other schools without giving away too much information. Continue communicating with multiple schools as Plan B’s until the “Likely Letter” from Plan A is received.

Enjoy the ride.

Yes, this. And they typically can’t do an academic preread until the summer after junior year. We just went through this with the NESCAC conference and a couple of other high academic schools. It does get extremely stressful when you see all these other girls your dd’s age committing, full-well knowing yours is making a huge gamble passing on other offers and waiting so long. You truly have to “trust the process!”

Also, Google Ivy League recruiting academic index to see how they stratify potential recruits.

Nov 5, 2014
Yes, this. And they typically can’t do an academic preread until the summer after junior year. We just went through this with the NESCAC conference and a couple of other high academic schools. It does get extremely stressful when you see all these other girls your dd’s age committing, full-well knowing yours is making a huge gamble passing on other offers and waiting so long. You truly have to “trust the process!”

Also, Google Ivy League recruiting academic index to see how they stratify potential recruits.
Academic index is hugely important in Ivy recruiting. We are lucky in that DD already has a "qualifying" test score which is 2/3rds of the index so as long as she keeps her grades up she should be ok.

I'm really curious what they are doing with the academic index for the 2021 class since SAT/ACT requirement was suspended for 2021.

Jul 21, 2012
DD heard from 4 schools Tuesday. Two emailed at midnight. 3 she had been in contact with through email and had sent video, the 4th found her on Twitter. No offers but she had good phone conversations with the 3 that had her major. All 3 want to see her on campus as soon as dead period is lifted and one talked about what $ their pitchers get. She didn't hear from her top choice and the one school that we thought she would for sure hear from. But she was very happy with the schools that did reach out and excited to get to know those coaches better!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

I remember talking to a player at a tournament the summer before her Senior year. I asked about her college prospects and she was pretty down on herself since she had her heart set on going to Dartmouth. They didn't want her, and she sounded like college softball wasn't gonna happen for her. Meanwhile her best friends are committing to other Ivies and other schools. She ended up committing during the Spring of her Senior Season to Amherst. She shows up to campus as a 3rd string catcher. A few injuries later she becomes the starter. Her team ended up playing in the D3 Champioship in OK that same year. She would have never had that opportunity if she went to Dartmouth. She graduated this year and I'm not sure what she is doing now. Talking about trusting the process!!!

Jun 27, 2018
My daughter heard from the D1 she was kinda interested in at the end of September. She ended up committing to a D3 closer to home. She figured out the D3 was a better fit for her academically and all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog