Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby, what is a simple forward stride? Need more definition

In the meantime, try what David Wright is doing here, there is much happening before heel plant.. or before pushing back really hard with the front leg as you define it. You might want to try it no stride like Wright does in order to feel how to stride forward using the midsection. Leading with the rear butt cheek might be a helpful cue.

View attachment 19070
Feet together facing the pitcher, step forward. The move that David Wright does is what's necessary when your legs are spread apart like his are. That spread stance is really the way to resist moving.
If the feet are together, the no teach movement is to shift your hips forward.... so a simple forward stride is just walking forward. Babies do it.

Jul 29, 2013
When the hands move up and back, is that the hands moving up and back? When the front shoulder goes down and in, is that the shoulder moving down and in? Or is it a reaction to something else? A passive move? Things to think about.
When the brain says stay square but the body turns the shoulders wth is that?

May 12, 2016
Feet together facing the pitcher, step forward. The move that David Wright does is what's necessary when your legs are spread apart like his are. That spread stance is really the way to resist moving.
If the feet are together, the no teach movement is to shift your hips forward.... so a simple forward stride is just walking forward. Babies do it.
It has nothing to do with no-stride(or spread stance in your words).

This
gif (6).gif

is the same as this
gif (7).gif

during the move forward. It's not a simple step. I thought is was at one point as well. But I was wrong.

Jul 29, 2013
It has nothing to do with no-stride(or spread stance in your words).

This
View attachment 19080

is the same as this
View attachment 19082

during the move forward. It's not a simple step. I thought is was at one point as well. But I was wrong.
If you cut the video off at their legs it looks the same. My point about it being a simple step forward is that is the hitter/student didn't understand about how to move forward, I'd place them in a position facing the pitcher and say, "Step forward." There would be no need to tell them to move their hips first, it would happen naturally.
So when I suggested you try facing the pitcher and
"Try a simple forward stride and push back really hard with your front leg....so hard you actually move backwards."
...my intention was to not have to get into a big explanation but to have you try a simple movement and see what your experience might be.
Oh well.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
J/k. I think the thoughts or thought should be during practice and a bit during warm ups. I think even in between pitches. Once you get in the box. Take a breath, trust yourself and GO see it.

May 12, 2016
If you cut the video off at their legs it looks the same. My point about it being a simple step forward is that is the hitter/student didn't understand about how to move forward, I'd place them in a position facing the pitcher and say, "Step forward." There would be no need to tell them to move their hips first, it would happen naturally.
So when I suggested you try facing the pitcher and
"Try a simple forward stride and push back really hard with your front leg....so hard you actually move backwards."
...my intention was to not have to get into a big explanation but to have you try a simple movement and see what your experience might be.
Oh well.
Bobby, it’s what I used to do. Simply step/stride forward. Not for me and I cannot reproduce what we see in Cabrera’s or Wright’s move forward. The front leg movement you are speaking of is new to me, I will try that. I like a practical approach. At the same time maybe you can try to move forward using your middle instead of just stepping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802