Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
That’s the separation that shows the stopping of the hips early while the upper body delivers/stops the arms/hands/barrel Getting separated forward. Energy transfer up the chain. Instead of just rotating through.
The pelvis stopped because it is attached to the legs and they are anchored to the ground....limiting the range of motion. There are a lot of Babe Ruth videos where he keeps rotating his pelvis and falls down as a result.
Yes, the shoulders can rotate in both directions allowing the pelvis to lead and then the shoulders pass up the pelvis. But the fact remains, if you want to create stretch that loads the core, the pelvis needs to get out front of the shoulders.

Jul 29, 2013
It’s a feel to stay in the ground to stop their hips. Counter rotation happens during the stride( upper twisting back, front shoulder down and in).Seen the Bregman clip?

SO he thinks it but in his words, "Of course that's not going to happen, but that's how my brain has to think in order to stay closed and not spin off the baseball."

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
As a golfer, Dr. Rose in your OP caught my attention as well as the reverse hip rotation mentioned above. It reminded me of Rory McIlroy's "hip stall" during his swing. Will keep an open mind on how this may translate to my daughter's softball swing. Here's a related video where John Brenkus and Dr. Rose breakdown how Rory uses his hips during his swing:

a8wsse2.gif

Jul 29, 2013
What?? A doctor says there's a 45 degree inward coil of the hips and shoulders?? Please stop with all this sciencey stuff. :)

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Also, notice there is no 'scap load' here. And there shouldn't be according to the good doctor. It should snap like a rubber band when the uncoil happens.
SO if I stick my leg in the air and coil it, it will snap like a rubber band when I release it and uncoil happens? ...and the power of the uncoil will be really dramatic, so much so that if my body were sitting on top of that leg, my body would rotate open?
Even better, the coil is so great that when I stand on the coiled leg and then lift it off the ground, the recoil is so great as to push the rest of my body into rotation?
So if I stick the leg into the air and you twist it for me so it coils, then my body will spin on the ground like a break dancer!
Really?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The pelvis stopped because it is attached to the legs and they are anchored to the ground....limiting the range of motion. There are a lot of Babe Ruth videos where he keeps rotating his pelvis and falls down as a result.
Yes, the shoulders can rotate in both directions allowing the pelvis to lead and then the shoulders pass up the pelvis. But the fact remains, if you want to create stretch that loads the core, the pelvis needs to get out front of the shoulders.

Nobody’s arguing that. Most pros get very little stretch reflex or extra separation. And most won’t need to open the front leg ala Josh D.

The main point of the thread is to educate on what the stretch is for and what the legs and hips are used for. So power happy dads and coaches don’t go out there teaching their kids to create separation and drag the bat. It’s really mostly a passive move. BUT creating the stretch forward is a VERY active move and most of the time will need to be taught.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
SO he thinks it but in his words, "Of course that's not going to happen, but that's how my brain has to think in order to stay closed and not spin off the baseball."

Yeah, most people use their brains to accomplish things w their bodies. Don’t know what you’re arguing here. It helps keep him stay closed and not leak energy towards the 3rd base dugout. It allows him to stay on the ball longer. To not leak. Or he would just fly open, drag and slice everything to RF? We don’t want to rotate to rotate. We rotate to put that energy into the ball not the body.

Jul 29, 2013
Nobody’s arguing that. Most pros get very little stretch reflex or extra separation. And most won’t need to open the front leg ala Josh D.

The main point of the thread is to educate on what the stretch is for and what the legs and hips are used for. So power happy dads and coaches don’t go out there teaching their kids to create separation and drag the bat. It’s really mostly a passive move. BUT creating the stretch forward is a VERY active move and most of the time will need to be taught.
Create the stretch via opening the hips against the rearward shoulder turn. Then power the swing launch with the rearward thrust of the front leg against the pelvis. That's the movement that creates the additional stretch of the core and where the power come from.
ALL OF THE PROS DO IT!
Then turn the shoulders to the ball.

If you don't open the front leg like Donaldson does, you're gonna wind up with knee problems from the torque created from rotating against that knee.

Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, most people use their brains to accomplish things w their bodies. Don’t know what you’re arguing here. It helps keep him stay closed and not leak energy towards the 3rd base dugout. It allows him to stay on the ball longer. To not leak. Or he would just fly open, drag and slice everything to RF? We don’t want to rotate to rotate. We rotate to put that energy into the ball not the body.
He actually uses his brain and his body does something different...as though his controls are a bit askew.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Create the stretch via opening the hips against the rearward shoulder turn. Then power the swing launch with the rearward thrust of the front leg against the pelvis. That's the movement that creates the additional stretch of the core and where the power come from.
ALL OF THE PROS DO IT!
Then turn the shoulders to the ball.

If you don't open the front leg like Donaldson does, you're gonna wind up with knee problems from the torque created from rotating against that knee.

Nope more pros land closed than open w the front foot. The foot rolls over after contact. Nobody is getting injured.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812