Separation between hips and shoulders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Lets talk about separation between the hips and shoulders and pitching.
Well, it is one of the big Kinematic keys to speed. The separation (hips transition ahead of the shoulders)causes a diagonal stretch of the muscles from the non-throwing hip up to the throwing pectoral area. When those muscles contract (reflex) it causes the shoulder rotation to accelerate and additionally the stretch reflex of the pec accelerates the speed of internal rotation of the humerus. All good things for speed.

Feb 15, 2017
Would it be correct to say is like the separation when batting? As the hips begin to turn and the knee comes under the hip there is a tilting of the spine and a stretch from the front leg to the rear pectoral?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m only a bucket dad but here’s 2cts. Maximum hip shoulder separation is 90degrees. That is hips closed to pitcher 90 degree and back shoulder straight back 180 degrees to pitcher. Anything less is not maximum anything more is bad form. The more I read on dfp and other places the more I hear shoulder should stay open ex. Lock it in drill discussion shoulder stays back let arm whip through with IR. Or Phill with fastpitch power and open shoulder sliding door motion not close door motion.
The only way my DD can maintain consistent speed and accuracy is through the maximum hip shoulder separation with IR delivery. The only way she can reach maximum hip shoulder separation is to drive forward over her drive leg while trying to keep her lower half that’s hips closed knee and foot pointed at catcher while letting upper body rotate until back shoulder and arm is 180 degrees palm up. Then stride foot should be planted fsr applied maintain good posture no bending forward at hips, elbows adduction to BI as IR of forearm whip of wrist and release. Nothing to it. Someone please tell me if Im coaching it wrong.
PS her hips do open to about 45 at full stride but then close immediately at stride foot plant.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I’m only a bucket dad but here’s 2cts. Maximum hip shoulder separation is 90degrees. That is hips closed to pitcher 90 degree and back shoulder straight back 180 degrees to pitcher. Anything less is not maximum anything more is bad form. The more I read on dfp and other places the more I hear shoulder should stay open ex. Lock it in drill discussion shoulder stays back let arm whip through with IR. Or Phill with fastpitch power and open shoulder sliding door motion not close door motion.
The only way my DD can maintain consistent speed and accuracy is through the maximum hip shoulder separation with IR delivery. The only way she can reach maximum hip shoulder separation is to drive forward over her drive leg while trying to keep her lower half that’s hips closed knee and foot pointed at catcher while letting upper body rotate until back shoulder and arm is 180 degrees palm up. Then stride foot should be planted fsr applied maintain good posture no bending forward at hips, elbows adduction to BI as IR of forearm whip of wrist and release. Nothing to it. Someone please tell me if Im coaching it wrong.
PS her hips do open to about 45 at full stride but then close immediately at stride foot plant.
Would you mind sharing some video? I'm only a 1 cent bucket-dad

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020

this is all I can find now not a full separation of 90 shows hip trying to drive closed As shoulder rotates back.

Thanks so much to you and DD for posting this. As soon as I starting watching she reminded me of Yukiko Ueno.

A difference I see between the two is the front shoulder opening up much sooner for your daughter than for Ueno.

Hope Mr. Pauley throws in some comments.

- Yukiko Ueno

Attachments

• Uenoarmcircle.png
    Uenoarmcircle.png
    131 KB · Views: 31
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My thoughts on this are different. I believe there is very little 'stretch and fire' in the softball pitching motion. Creating torque between the shoulders and hips and 'firing' or closing at release are hallmarks of HE. The nature of the fastpitch arm motion requires that the shoulders stay relatively open to allow IR to take place. Ueno is definitely more open than the pitcher in the video.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
My thoughts on this are different. I believe there is very little 'stretch and fire' in the softball pitching motion. Creating torque between the shoulders and hips and 'firing' or closing at release are hallmarks of HE. The nature of the fastpitch arm motion requires that the shoulders stay relatively open to allow IR to take place. Ueno is definitely more open than the pitcher in the video.
Oops meant daughters are closing faster - nice catch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478