Senoir Night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
probably would depend on importance of the game (ie does it mean playoffs vs done, etc.) and tightness of game. I would lean towards leaving the in as long as possible.

Other suggestion would also be (if possible) to sub for them one at a time, during a defensive half inning, so they get to run off, high five their replacement, and hear eveyrone cheering for them for the last time. maybe even for the regular starters late in the game (again, if possible). if you have a PA, announce the substitutions.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Senior day was a lot of fun for me when I was going through it. I played until the sixth inning when our starting pitcher (a senior as well) was pulled. We hugged as we walked off the field and our sophomore catcher and my sister took the field as replacements. Now, I'll get to see my sister's senior day game and relive my senior day with her.

Jun 11, 2012
Our HS used to try and schedule senior night against one of the weaker teams on the schedule. If this worked (weather sometimes messed it up) then all seniors would play the whole game if we were winning. DD’s senior year all of the seniors but 1 were starters and because of weather schedule changes we had to play a tougher team on senior night. The 1 non starter got an at bat and a couple innings on the field.

Feb 12, 2014
Okay, let me play devil's advocate here. Why would you start a Senior over a girl who is the regular starter? That girl has worked and earned that spot.

My daughter would have set the school record for most games started if it weren't for Covid. She worked her tail off to start every game as a freshman. Had a Senior been behind her and started that game and killed her starting streak, I would have been ticked and she would have been too.

May 6, 2015
Okay, let me play devil's advocate here. Why would you start a Senior over a girl who is the regular starter? That girl has worked and earned that spot.

My daughter would have set the school record for most games started if it weren't for Covid. She worked her tail off to start every game as a freshman. Had a Senior been behind her and started that game and killed her starting streak, I would have been ticked and she would have been too.
why ? ? ? ? because it is a recognition of 4 years of dedication and hard work.

as an example, at UNC, which plays at the highest level of college basketball, recruited seniors ALWAYS start the last home game (and do not come out until first natural stoppage of play, no calling TO to sub), regardless of where they normally are on the depth chart. and every other year, that last home game is against (they whom I cannot name, begins with a D), and most often has reg season championship, conference and national tournament seeding implications. DOES not matter.

Honoring those who have worked and sacrificed for four years is more important than individual records/streaks, wins, titles, etc.

Apr 20, 2015

Yes I would. These are team sports. Individual honors are not as important as the team. I guess I'm just idealistic but to me high school sports should be more than just records and accolades. They should be the stories we tell and the memories we have looking back on our lives and I would want each of those seniors to have that memory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012

The fact that “most games started in school history” is even a thing at your DD’s school blows my mind. The fact that both you and her are hung up on it is a whole different story.
Softball is a team sport, I don’t care how good you are, you need a whole team to play the game.
Sure I’d rather my kid be on the field but senior night is about honoring the ones who have given 4 years to the team, some of which do it without playing in many games. We had one who almost never played but she was the most upbeat, respectful kid I ever met and she would do anything to help the starting nine to become better players even if it meant she has even less of a chance of playing. Why should she not be given that one game to play?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Other suggestion would also be (if possible) to sub for them one at a time, during a defensive half inning, so they get to run off, high five their replacement, and hear eveyrone cheering for them for the last time.

I tried this during our first senior night and they asked why I had them go out on the field only to pull them off. Pretty good plan that backfired completely.

May 6, 2015
I tried this during our first senior night and they asked why I had them go out on the field only to pull them off. Pretty good plan that backfired completely.
I would think, as long as it is not right after a bad play, it would become obvious to most at least. and obviously, if they are a regular player, and game is tight, you leave them in if you need them.