Semantics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2020
I'm new here, trying to soak up all I can to help my daughter learn pitching. I've read the stickied posts about IR, brush interference, and so on. In this little journey, I recall one poster mentioning "Crazy Phil", which I believe was a reference to the Schonberg gentleman with Fastpitch Power. It kind of sounded like he was being bagged on for appropriating terminology from this site and using it as his own, not for anything backwards he instructs... I've watched a lot of their Youtube material, and it seems to be in line with what I'm understanding from the stickied posts. Is Fastpitch Power in line with the IR way of doing things? It seems like my daughter understands better if I can play a video instead of me trying to explain something. Just wondering if that would be a recommended resource to illustrate to a 10 year old. Thanks for any input!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think more of Phil's early stuff on forearm fire was technically wrong in how he approached the arm circle. Boardmembers explanation and drills were technical and correct in my opinion. JavaSource has some great videos that showed and elaborated BM's info for beginners here. Look for those videos to show your DD on the basics.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Bill Hillhouse videos (from his website) are a great starting spot also.
Strongly agree with this. The Hillhouse approach, especially just starting out, is very straight forward and non-technical. If you allow yourself, you can easily get lost in a bunch of bio-mechanical and other scientific terms that really aren’t essential to making progress. I would argue for starting simply and correctly and getting more complicated later.

Oct 4, 2018
With my now 11 year old DD the one thing I wish is that we spent a month or two simply learning how to throw underhand. Meaning no real focus on the rubber, the plate, strikes, etc. Just IR and BI and tossing underhand. I think that would have gotten us further along at a better and faster pace.

Apr 12, 2015
With regards to Schonberg, it was much more than semantics. The way he described and demonstrated internal rotation (forearm fire was what he called it) was not only completely inaccurate, I would say it was dangerous.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Where are Java's Youtube videos? I've seen them and they are good...I just don't remember his Youtube channel.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802