Sell me on a Mevo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2017
Ok so with all the COVID restrictions and the fact DD2 is a 2021 I see a bunch of filming in my future. I have a Hero 5 Black and can record to the card brute force.

What are the advantages of a Mevo Plus to make it worth the $? Easier setup? Cloud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
I use Mevo Plus to livestream and record at the same time. On games where we decide not to livestream we record in 4K (can't do both). I find the Mevo setup and features to be really easy to use. I switched from a GoPro 7 for reference.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
A couple of things that I would note:
1.) The Mevo Plus is a discontinued item. You can still buy them, and they are actually cheaper than the newer (someone less capable) Mevo Start. Looks like Mevo is selling reconditioned PLus cameras at a pretty decent price.
2.) The boost is an addon battery for the Plus and as some water resistant, but makes the camera very tall and heavy.
3.) The Mevo Plus can record in 4K or live stream at 1080p (while also recording at 1080p). The Mevo Start's resolution is limited to 1080p
4.) The Mevo Plus allows you to adjust FOV, while the Start has a fixed FOV. You can pinch zoom to crop a shot down, but the quality quick degrades on the Start when doing so.
5.) Both capture very good video.
6.) Both allow for external power for nearly unlimited recording time.
7.) The smartphone App works exceptional for both camera. However, when using your phone as the data source for the camera, you pretty much have to leave the phone to manage the stream. Killing the app or placing it in the background will generally disrupt the stream. However, when using a hotspot or available wifi, you can start the stream with your phone and it will run on its own.
8.) Streaming on the GoPro cameras is basically unusable do to the limited wide only FOV. Mevo provides the best alternative to streaming and recording. The cheaper option, with lesser quality, would be to stream with a cell phone and continue to record with the GoPro.

Not really intended to to talk you into or out of the Mevo. Just some basic data we have gathered. All in all, we like both cameras. It is an odd situation that the Mevo Plus (the old camera) is superior in most cases to the Mevo Start.

Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 2017
A couple of things that I would note:
1.) The Mevo Plus is a discontinued item. You can still buy them, and they are actually cheaper than the newer (someone less capable) Mevo Start. Looks like Mevo is selling reconditioned PLus cameras at a pretty decent price.
2.) The boost is an addon battery for the Plus and as some water resistant, but makes the camera very tall and heavy.
3.) The Mevo Plus can record in 4K or live stream at 1080p (while also recording at 1080p). The Mevo Start's resolution is limited to 1080p
4.) The Mevo Plus allows you to adjust FOV, while the Start has a fixed FOV. You can pinch zoom to crop a shot down, but the quality quick degrades on the Start when doing so.
5.) Both capture very good video.
6.) Both allow for external power for nearly unlimited recording time.
7.) The smartphone App works exceptional for both camera. However, when using your phone as the data source for the camera, you pretty much have to leave the phone to manage the stream. Killing the app or placing it in the background will generally disrupt the stream. However, when using a hotspot or available wifi, you can start the stream with your phone and it will run on its own.
8.) Streaming on the GoPro cameras is basically unusable do to the limited wide only FOV. Mevo provides the best alternative to streaming and recording. The cheaper option, with lesser quality, would be to stream with a cell phone and continue to record with the GoPro.

Not really intended to to talk you into or out of the Mevo. Just some basic data we have gathered. All in all, we like both cameras. It is an odd situation that the Mevo Plus (the old camera) is superior in most cases to the Mevo Start.

Hope this helps.

The $300 price for the Plus is what is making me consider it and if he have a HS season next year I can stream games which would be a bonus. I haven’t found the GoPro to be really good for that. I do have a linkspyder so it would just be changing my brackets.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I keep trying to talk myself into adding a Mevo for livestreaming, but not sure the price, as well as adding one more thing to mount and charge and check on is worth it for a limited upside of 1080 broadcast over what I am getting now (720) with a phone using Periscope. For reference I use an iPhone with a lens attachment to livestream to periscope and GoPros (Hero 7 and Hero 5 Session) to record clips to make highlights with.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I bought a Mevo Plus (half price on eBay, about a year ago). Before the Mevo, I was using a GoPro to record, and an iPhone to stream. The Mevo improved everything about my setup. Additionally, the Mevo continued to run as GoPros around it were shutting down in the summer heat. I heard lots of people say bad things to their GoPros.

My Mevo Plus and $25 fence mount...
69zAk6H.jpg

Feb 21, 2017
I bought a Mevo Plus (half price on eBay, about a year ago). Before the Mevo, I was using a GoPro to record, and an iPhone to stream. The Mevo improved everything about my setup. Additionally, the Mevo continued to run as GoPros around it were shutting down in the summer heat. I heard lots of people say bad things to their GoPros.

My Mevo Plus and $25 fence mount...
69zAk6H.jpg

Where did you get the clip?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 26, 2016
We use the Mevo daughter was able to stream last year and record, is easy to use, and she is able to cut clips of highlights and send them to teammates by playing the game on the app and screen recording on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802