Self Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I get it and understand, but both you and I know what out sequence feels and looks like.. most young boys/girls do not.
And that's why when you ask high school age players to hit infield or outfield for you it (unfortunately/too often) ends up with girls on the ground laughing. Gotta fix that ;)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Never heard of speed self-toss? I rather explained above, that it refers to trying to see how many balls the batter could hit in 30 seconds. The speed is not in the ball, but in the rapid frequent release or toss. The batter never gets set. I am not accusing you 3 of doing this or anyone. That is what I see here too much. But as well, I see soft-toss unraveling good mechanics taught in the rest of practice.
I appreciate that you are not accusing me of doing it since I have never heard of it. I've seen rapid soft toss and would never do that. I don't understand that concept as well. I do love the concept of self toss and grew up doing it. I had my dd do it a lot. Our HS has a station that is self toss and I have described it here before. We have had ropes on the netting and players attempt to drive the ball into that region. We do just the opposite of doing this fast. We do it slow and pay attention to detail.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
And that's why when you ask high school age players to hit infield or outfield for you it (unfortunately/too often) ends up with girls on the ground laughing. Gotta fix that ;)
This is another thing that we do in practice. I don't think that they would break down laughing if given the chance. We set up 6 lines and rotate so that our fielders get a lot of practice. For the most part, any veteran player can do this well. The new players? Not so much those first few times.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Self-toss is when you throw it to yourself. I think you are referring to side toss or front toss when the thrower (who is different than the hitter) rapidly tosses the ball to the hitter. I have seen this done but have never understood the point. I have never seen anybody do self-toss in a rapid manner as a drill.

Yes, soft-toss and self-toss were mentioned. I have no criticism of self-toss. It is functional. Soft-toss can be functional as long as the tosser understands the purpose, which isn't to show how many consecutive balls they can throw waist high at the highest frequency rate possible. I had hoped some of you had seen the same thing in other coaches execution.

Aug 8, 2016
I went to a coaches clinic at University of Washington and they said that self toss was a frequent station in their hitting practices.

Jun 8, 2016
Played self-toss HR derby today on a slow pitch field with the kids (putting them at an appropriate distance from the fence). Marcela wasn't too pleased her 5YO brother beat her..that is until Dad didn't hit any from the plate hitting baseballs with a 30 inch wood bat (apparently I have warning track power now :rolleyes:) ..she was fine after that :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
That really sounds fun! As an empty nester, I’m pretty jealous!
It was fun. I told my wife she could play next time too if she wanted and that we could put her "appropriate distance" at the warning track..for some reason she didn't think that was funny.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
It was fun. I told my wife she could play next time too if she wanted and that we could put her "appropriate distance" at the warning track..for some reason she didn't think that was funny.
me so funny.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802