Self Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
What is your guys opinion concerning young hitters learning to self toss to improve on being able to flow through mechanics or just improving hitting in general?

Jun 8, 2016
What is your guys opinion concerning young hitters learning to self toss to improve on being able to flow through mechanics or just improving hitting in general?
I hit a bunch of self toss as a kid and now I am desk jockey so....j/k :LOL: I don't see much downside to it. Marcela does it every so often and my 5 YO likes to do it too. You can even do Happy Gilmore actions with it.

Oct 2, 2017
I hit a bunch of self toss as a kid and now I am desk jockey so....j/k :LOL: I don't see much downside to it. Marcela does it every so often and my 5 YO likes to do it too. You can even do Happy Gilmore actions with it.

While we at Allies sisters softball practice, we went to the field right next to it and she hit self toss to me. She realized real quick that if she didn't have good sequence she couldn't hit well. She had a blast doing it.

Jun 8, 2016
While we at Allies sisters softball practice, we went to the field right next to it and she hit self toss to me. She realized real quick that if she didn't have good sequence she couldn't hit well. She had a blast doing it.
Right..biggest issue is the toss which goes away with a bit of practice.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Enjoy it. Think it's great just for helping with the athleticism. Sort of like playing catch using the glove to both catch and throw.

Feb 14, 2019
I'm assuming by self toss you mean basically hitting fungo? I don't know if that will do much as far as live hitting sequence/mechanics go (really different between live hitting and hitting fungo) but it will definitely increase hand/eye coordination and it's a great teaching tool for how to hit the ball in specific directions, ground ball vs fly ball vs line drive, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802