Self Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I never heard of speed self toss either, how's that even possible?

However I can easily hit self toss and be out of sequence as well.. You can create a lot of bad habits with self toss, getting on the front foot too much, stuck on the back side, all arms swing, improper barrel path, etc etc.. I'm not saying self toss is bad, a hitter can figure a lot of things out, but I'm don't believe proper sequence and self toss go hand in hand

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Never heard of speed self-toss. When you toss the ball up to yourself if you aren't in sequence it's not really going to work. In sequence='setup, load, stride, to contact'...it's perfect for working all those things, and you can do it without a pitcher, a machine or a tee.

I rather explained Rich that it referred to trying to see how many balls the batter could hit in 30 seconds. The speed is in the soft-tossed ball, but in the rapid frequent release.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Never heard of speed self-toss.
I was curious about the "speed self toss" comment. I've never heard of it.

Never heard of speed self-toss? I rather explained above, that it refers to trying to see how many balls the batter could hit in 30 seconds. The speed is not in the ball, but in the rapid frequent release or toss. The batter never gets set. I am not accusing you 3 of doing this or anyone. That is what I see here too much. But as well, I see soft-toss unraveling good mechanics taught in the rest of practice.

Jun 8, 2016
Never heard of speed self-toss? I rather explained above, that it refers to trying to see how many balls the batter could hit in 30 seconds. The speed is not in the ball, but in the rapid frequent release or toss. The batter never gets set. I am not accusing you 3 of doing this or anyone. That is what I see here too much. But as well, I see soft-toss unraveling good mechanics taught in the rest of practice.
Self-toss is when you throw it to yourself. I think you are referring to side toss or front toss when the thrower (who is different than the hitter) rapidly tosses the ball to the hitter. I have seen this done but have never understood the point. I have never seen anybody do self-toss in a rapid manner as a drill.

Sep 17, 2009

However I can easily hit self toss and be out of sequence as well.. You can create a lot of bad habits with self toss, getting on the front foot too much, stuck on the back side, all arms swing, improper barrel path, etc etc.. I'm not saying self toss is bad, a hitter can figure a lot of things out, but I'm don't believe proper sequence and self toss go hand in hand
If you self-tossed I could tell if you were out of sequence pretty easily. All those things you describe look pretty awful and evident when self-tossing...that's what I meant. Not that you COULDN'T be out of sequence but that it exposes it when you're out of it and can reinforce it when you are in it.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks for the replys guys! Didn't think this thread would generate so many responses. Seems like many of us remember doing it as a kid, I would go out into my Grandpas gravel drive way with a stick and see how far I could hit rocks into the tree line.

May 12, 2016
If you self-tossed I could tell if you were out of sequence pretty easily. All those things you describe look pretty awful and evident when self-tossing...that's what I meant. Not that you COULDN'T be out of sequence but that it exposes it when you're out of it and can reinforce it when you are in it.
I get it and understand, but both you and I know what out sequence feels and looks like.. most young boys/girls do not.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What is your guys opinion concerning young hitters learning to self toss to improve on being able to flow through mechanics or just improving hitting in general?
99% of kids open their hips as they stride, and have bat drag. Self toss generally teach you to skip the closing part, and open your hips, so it would not improve hitting, no.

Can it relive boredom, sure.