Select players playing rec ball – does your league ban it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
I know most users on this site are involved in travel ball, rather than rec leagues, but if you know the rules of your rec league, please respond.

The reason I ask is because my DD plays outfield on a select team, but wants to pitch. I signed her up for the local rec league, but was told she’s ineligible to pitch because she plays select ball. Never mind the fact that she’s never even pitched batting practice on her select team, much less in a game. This seems absurd to me, but maybe it’s common practice?

Dec 9, 2010
Our local rev league had a rule that a travel ball player can play rec, but has to move up an age level. So a 12U TB player would play 14U rec.

Feb 20, 2019
Our local rev league had a rule that a travel ball player can play rec, but has to move up an age level. So a 12U TB player would play 14U rec.

Thanks, that actually sounds similar to this rule in that select players wanting to pitch must play up one age division. However, there are not enough 14U players to field a team, much less a full league. Besides, I don't want her pitching at 43 feet yet.

Mar 20, 2019
At least in most of MD a lot of the rec leagues have travel teams playing under their banner.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
I've heard of this being an issue, but our local rec league does not have any specific prohibition against travel players participating. Now the parents from other towns, when their team gets crushed, that's a different story...

As @playball4 said, if you're a travel player who wants to keep playing in the local league, playing up an age level is the way to go. DD was a second-year 12 this past spring, but played rec at 14U.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802