Seeking Perspective on Guest Playing While Still Committed to Another Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
The list above takes about 12 minutes. And she can do most of that by herself or with just a quick reminder from you.

What do you do when you have a two-game break? Those 2 hours really drag out.

you've clearly never met my DD, regarding both time and only needing reminders ;) she needs a reminder to remember the reminder you just gave her, plus a little OCD just for kix. ;)

and clearly never played at some of the complexes or satellite fields we end up at (I have had bathroom trips that last twenty minutes with no nonsense because of the distance).

and I do socialize outside our team as well, but it is generally with people / teams we already know (for good or for bad, DD has bounced around some), so not really picking up new intel there. in fact I probably socialize more outside our team than with our team.

guess I do gotta step up my game a little.

Aug 26, 2019
Coming from a team that had guest players last season at least 75% of the tournaments, we appreciated having girls that were willing to play and help since we were always short.

This season the team my daughter is playing with doesn’t have any fall games on the schedule yet. I saw that another nearby team was looking for a catcher so I mentioned it to her current coach first to be sure there wouldn’t be any issue. She makes 10 on the roster she’s subbing with. I think when your looking at pitchers/catchers it’s smart to make sure you have a backup even if that means a sub. We have no intention of leaving our team, she just wants to get as much experience in as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have learned to get a preseason agreement with coaches that DD can pickup as long as it doesn’t interfere with core team. Don’t think being #1 pitcher will deter coaches from kicking a player off a team. The 1st time dd picked up with another team we got a call on Friday literally got in car and drove to tournament that night for 1st game at 8 am got a call from coach by 2 inning asking if we had quit his team. I said no but since our team wasn’t playing we thought it would be good for dd. Dd was # 1 pitcher by 12 mph on a 10 girl roster and he kicked her off. That team never won another game that season. I told team we picked up for he gladly took dd because his #1 was out hurt why he asked for pickup. Moral of story get permission before joining a team and you don’t get in this position again (we only pick up for team short on pitchers) if you want to check out a new team take dd to watch them in a tournament talk to coach you can tell the team you’re interested and watch them you can tell if your dd could compete and make the team meet other parents then you are ready for next season if that’s the decision you decide to make.

Sep 29, 2014
I have learned to get a preseason agreement with coaches that DD can pickup as long as it doesn’t interfere with core team. Don’t think being #1 pitcher will deter coaches from kicking a player off a team. The 1st time dd picked up with another team we got a call on Friday literally got in car and drove to tournament that night for 1st game at 8 am got a call from coach by 2 inning asking if we had quit his team. I said no but since our team wasn’t playing we thought it would be good for dd. Dd was # 1 pitcher by 12 mph on a 10 girl roster and he kicked her off. That team never won another game that season. I told team we picked up for he gladly took dd because his #1 was out hurt why he asked for pickup. Moral of story get permission before joining a team and you don’t get in this position again (we only pick up for team short on pitchers) if you want to check out a new team take dd to watch them in a tournament talk to coach you can tell the team you’re interested and watch them you can tell if your dd could compete and make the team meet other parents then you are ready for next season if that’s the decision you decide to make.
....and what happened to your DD that season was she stuck not playing? my guess is no...and how did that team she got kicked off of do the next next season? were they even still around? I guess coach made his point but I'm sure all those parents and girls that were hung out to dry didn't get such a big kick out of 0 for BBQ every tournament...

Yes you should definitely get permission first but if the parent tells you they are committed to your team and now that they know better it won't happen again what kind of hard nose @#%^$$ are they you to kick your DD from the team, obviously the coach never said absolutely no guesting at all at the beginning of the season or you wouldn't have done it, how exactly were you supposed to know better. This is why communication at the beginning of the season is sooooo important.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee