Seeing movement on 4 Seam Fastball after going IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
My DD has finally gotten rid of the "Hello Elbow" and has gone IR. Not quite there yet, but she's getting better everyday.

One thing I've noticed is now I'm seeing some movement in her FBalls. Mostly an inside out movement, like a screw ball. She's not doing it on purpose, but I'm wondering if getting movement out of going IR is normal?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Some kids have movement without trying.

Let me guess: it moves a couple of inches left to right (from catcher perspective). It is not enough to be a real breaking pitch, but enough to be confusing and cause the batter to hit the ball a little off the sweet spot.

What to do: Nothing. This is a gift from the Great Softball Concession Stand in the sky, so don't mess with it.

After she gets the IR fully incorporated in her motion, have her start playing with finger pressure on the ball. That is, she tries to put more pressure on the index finger. See if she can get the ball to "squirt" in different directions.

May 9, 2019
Some kids have movement without trying.

Let me guess: it moves a couple of inches left to right (from catcher perspective). It is not enough to be a real breaking pitch, but enough to be confusing and cause the batter to hit the ball a little off the sweet spot.

What to do: Nothing. This is a gift from the Great Softball Concession Stand in the sky, so don't mess with it.

After she gets the IR fully incorporated in her motion, have her start playing with finger pressure on the ball. That is, she tries to put more pressure on the index finger. See if she can get the ball to "squirt" in different directions.

Yes, right to left.. not a crazy break like you said.. but definitely is movement and noticeable.

I'll try that finger pressure thing down the road. I'm so grateful for this site because even her velocity and control has improved with IR.

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah definately don't mess with anything assuming she has correct form and is consistent. A lot of girls will have a natural tail and with some slight to the side and down movement...I've seen some coaches try and get them to throw it straighter...think about that for a moment... why would you want to do that?

Nov 8, 2018
Spin in general increased a lot after turning I/r. Which makes the ball move more. My dd fans all may love left but sometimes drops. Sometimes goes right. When she throws a 2 seam it moves even more. It’s cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812