Seasons and Tourneys Cancelled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Just in ... Illinois public schools closed through the end of the month ... starting on ... Tuesday? Go spread those germs on Monday you little snotmonsters!

(I did my first day of substitute teaching today. One more scheduled Monday.)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This will be a goat rope.

FROM THE NJCAA:

As we continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation as it impacts our member colleges, the NJCAA has made the decision to suspend all spring competition beginning Saturday, March 14 through Friday, April 3 along with the postponement of basketball championships until April 20. The NJCAA is also extending the hardship season completion ruling to 60% - should teams cancel their season before the limit is reached, student-athletes will not be charged a year of eligibility. For the 2020-21 season, the NJCAA is also increasing its allowable number of Letters of Intent which will be vetted by the Eligibility Committee. Our goal is to look after the safety and security of all involved, while also still providing a pathway to allow opportunities for our student-athletes and the ability to compete for a national championship. The NJCAA will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Washington state has closed all schools through at least April 27th. Spring sports are technically suspended, but there is very little chance they happen. Most rec. leagues are shut down and most athletic fields are being closed. TB tournaments are cancelled through early April. We are one of the hard hit states, but other states are starting to catch up to us in terms of number of infected persons. How this plays out with summer tournaments is totally TBD. Will the kids still be in school in July? Could be. We just don't know.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
UIL Texas has suspended spring competition until the end of March. They have also modified projected spring sport district "potential" playoff dates with no change to softball at the moment.
#1. I have little hope we will play again but I have a ton of prayers out there that we will.
#2. And more importantly, I appreciate that UIL Texas has taken this stance and not called the spring season over. They may very well think it will end up like that but at this point they are not saying. This actually gives us all hope (point #1 went from zero hope to a "little" because of this). Seriously, it truly was uplifting to see them put this out and to think there might be a chance keeps us all a bit more on the positive side.

Oct 3, 2019
No, I'm actually not kidding. Here's why:

I believe in the men and women in our health care system. I have four nieces and spouses of friends who are M.D.'s and P.A.'s that are some of the smartest people I have ever met. I also have a personal doc who inspires great confidence. Last month I had an earache and went an urgent care clinic that I expected to be assembly line patient care- it wasn't. I was really impressed with the care I got.

It is easy to criticize healthcare in the U.S. and I have done it. Yet I also believe that Americans rise to challenges big and small and will again in this case too. We are going to get through this.

And just so I don't contribute to a thread getting closed, I will say this: Rise balls don't rise and all great pitchers utilize internal rotation whether they realize it or not.
Not saying anything regarding health care in this country. I worked in it my entire working life. However, regarding the administration and "leadership", we had our heads in the sand for weeks and are paying the price for it now. That is just a fact.

Oct 3, 2019
Are tournaments are still on this weekend. So I guess it state to state and governing body.
Any chance they can be live streamed so the rest of us can get us some softball? The next health problem is going to be depression and stress due to the isolation and lack of any type of escape from the daily, bad news. Not just because of the lack of softball and other sports as an outlet, but everything is so dismal looking right now. I do however believe that, when it's over, we will all be so happy and appreciative and maybe have more gratitude going forward for what we do have. Simple things like a day at the park, being in the sunshine and just watching the kids play, will be so much more meaningful.

Oct 14, 2019
we are scheduled to play in a USSSA tournament tomorrow in Seminole County, Florida. It has not been cancelled as of yet. Interestingly enough, a tournament scheduled to be played in the city of Altamonte Springs, within Seminole County, was cancelled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802