Seasons and Tourneys Cancelled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I listened to a very informative interview with infectious disease epidemiologist Michael Osterholm. He thinks it could be six to nine months before we get this under control.
A couple of his points:

* no vaccine anytime soon
* avoidance of group activities needs to be
longer than just a couple of weeks,
otherwise any squashing of the spread
curve is just short lived.
The Joe Rogan interview with him is very informative and eye opening...for those who are in denial that this should be taken seriously search for it and listen with at least a partially open mind.

May 20, 2016
DD's HS just "postponed" all softball game but are still practicing? Saw a note from UTrip yesterday with no handshaking any more. Assume they'll pull the plug this weekend.

People would be smarter to go with the "postponement" as opposed to cancellation at this time. Lot's of knee jerk reactions happening on very little data.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
This is all going to be a real test of individuals' discipline / motivation. With games and practices cancelled until further notice, and kids stuck at home, seeing who has the continued desire to keep up drills / skills in the backyard, and for how long.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
DD's HS just "postponed" all softball game but are still practicing? Saw a note from UTrip yesterday with no handshaking any more. Assume they'll pull the plug this weekend.

People would be smarter to go with the "postponement" as opposed to cancellation at this time. Lot's of knee jerk reactions happening on very little data.

I think the biggest issue with the spring outdoor school sports is the already tight schedule they have for their sports before the end of the school year. Especially at the high school level. You have maybe 2 full months to be playing outside if you are anywhere that actually has winter before the school year is over. If you consider removing a month from that availability by postponing your essentially canceling the season.

May 6, 2015
I read that the Ivy League is going to petition for an added year of eligibility for their athletes. My question is, what does that mean? If they are continuing classes online (or in whatever format), the students should still graduate at the same time. So ... they have to enroll for a bogus year of college to play another year? Or they have to basically forgo employment for a year to play?

they can always forgoe any extra eligibility they are granted. I think applying for it is reasonable, leave the decision on what to do with that extra eligiility up to the invididual. some may have been pursuing advanced degrees anyway, or this may prompt some to do so. more education is never a bad thing.

Feb 25, 2018
Here in MA the governing body for public high school sports, the MIAA, moved the start of all spring sports from March 16th to March 30th.
I'm guessing that before the 30th they will cancel spring sports outright. Two weeks is not enough time for any meaningful improvement.

Michael Osterholm gave a great analogy:
This isn't a 48 hour winter storm, this is a winter season.

John Robertson

The Voice
Feb 23, 2020
We are still playing Travel and Rec. But my daughters school ball coach told us that last night was probably there last game. By the way it was a double header and won both.

May 20, 2015
Maine Principals Association just delayed the start of spring sports to April 27 - for us that takes away a week of conditioning and 4 weeks of practice...wipes out the preseason slate and 5 countable games

What I don't get is not letting us practice if they keep school in session......