Seasons and Tourneys Cancelled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I don't know that I subscribe to that theory in this case. See my comments above about good/poor leadership. I have a bad hunch many people are going to travel to things only to arrive and find them canceled at the last minute. Once you have traveled, most of the potential for damage has been done ... anything you tracked with you has spread, and anything you've been exposed to is going back with you.

Large gatherings enhance the opportunity, but people moving about is what causes the spread.

Best of luck though!

I'm waiting to hear whether the online university I teach for will cancel its annual commencement. Thousands of students, faculty, and families travel to this event from all over the globe (literally; there were people from as far as Guam and Africa there last year). I know the Provost is waiting to make the call because he's hoping it will all be over by mid-May, but, meanwhile, people are making plane and hotel reservations that may not be reimbursable. This is not the time to be wishy-washy. Make a decision and stick with it.

Feb 15, 2017
Wondering if USSSA and PGF in Florida will suspend. They are in for now but with the elderly population here and colleges cancelling I don't see how they do not

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
OK, now that is just weird ... possibly a little late at that point. It is pretty bad seeing coaches walk in to arenas and being notified at that point. But you already have an arena full of people and call it at half time ... wow.

I'm going to say some controversial things now ...
1.) Canceling at that point is NOT good leadership. Things should have been canceled or at least "on notice" before that.

2.) This has me thinking a little more about colleges shutting down and sending students home. Wouldn't it be more prudent to keep them there instead of dispersing them all over the country? Seems like a lock down would have made more sense.
On 1 - People were not allowed. Just the team, essential staff, and some family members. It was a mostly empty arena.

On 2- My daughter's college is doing just that. They are cancelling spring break and asking students to stay on campus. They are a very small college though.

May 29, 2015
I'm waiting to hear whether the online university I teach for will cancel its annual commencement. Thousands of students, faculty, and families travel to this event from all over the globe (literally; there were people from as far as Guam and Africa there last year). I know the Provost is waiting to make the call because he's hoping it will all be over by mid-May, but, meanwhile, people are making plane and hotel reservations that may not be reimbursable. This is not the time to be wishy-washy. Make a decision and stick with it.

That is always the tough part ... being on the bubble. However, with the size and the scale of any event, you have to take that "user prep time" into account. Doesn't matter if it is canceling t-ball games because of potential bad weather or large-scale professional/educational events ... you have to know your audience and know what the window is.

Honestly, if you had me on retainer, I would tell you the best thing to do is definitively postpone it NOW. Don't be wishy-washy, don't hope for the best. Know your audience and what they have to put into attending. Announce you will reschedule at a later date and with adequate notice, but you certainly aren't holding it on the originally planned date.

May 29, 2015
On 1 - People were not allowed. Just the team, essential staff, and some family members. It was a mostly empty arena.

On 2- My daughter's college is doing just that. They are cancelling spring break and asking students to stay on campus. They are a very small college though.

I just saw an online clip, and yes, it wasn't an entire arena full of people, but the damage is already done. There were still quite a few there. Sitting in the arena longer is a negligible concern. You may as well finish that game. Instead, this looks like you made a panicked reaction.

Good call on #2. :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I just saw an online clip, and yes, it wasn't an entire arena full of people, but the damage is already done. There were still quite a few there. Sitting in the arena longer is a negligible concern. You may as well finish that game. Instead, this looks like you made a panicked reaction.

Good call on #2. :)
I think they realized how bad the optics were and weren't going to play the other 3 scheduled games following nor the games scheduled for Friday or Saturday so figured why finish a meaningless 1 v 8 game.

May 21, 2018
OK, now that is just weird ... possibly a little late at that point. It is pretty bad seeing coaches walk in to arenas and being notified at that point. But you already have an arena full of people and call it at half time ... wow.

I'm going to say some controversial things now ...
1.) Canceling at that point is NOT good leadership. Things should have been canceled or at least "on notice" before that.

2.) This has me thinking a little more about colleges shutting down and sending students home. Wouldn't it be more prudent to keep them there instead of dispersing them all over the country? Seems like a lock down would have made more sense.

Would a college have legal authority to impose a lock down for a situation like this?

Jun 11, 2012
DD’s best friend just called her. Both teams are in FL, both have their last games tomorrow. Her friend’s school is making them fly home tomorrow and not play last 2 games.
but their campus is staying open. DD’s school is going virtual as soon as they get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28