Seasons and Tourneys Cancelled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I'm expecting my DD's HS season gonna get canceled sooner or later (NY), and that stinks, plus I won't be able to umpire games, but those two inconviences are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

That. I hate to say it, but I’ve been putting off paying this year’s registrations (USA & USSSA; IHSA comes due in the summer) because I believe this is coming.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Sitting in Florida, DDs team to fly out tomorrow. An opponent from Connecticut has cancelled. I'm expecting others (who happen to be primarily from the northeast part of the country) will follow suit.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
The below explanation is why this is not ridiculous. It has very little to do with worries over the athletes themselves getting sick. It has to do with stopping the spread in communities as a whole: Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 8.33.01 AM.png

Apr 1, 2017
Our schools are still in session, but they cancelled all after school activities (sports, arts, clubs, etc.) this morning.

Just guessing, but I expect them to announce that classes are cancelled next week. We have spring break the following week, so that would give a 2 week window for everyone to see where things stand.

May 29, 2015
Our schools are still in session, but they cancelled all after school activities (sports, arts, clubs, etc.) this morning.

Just guessing, but I expect them to announce that classes are cancelled next week. We have spring break the following week, so that would give a 2 week window for everyone to see where things stand.

This is about simply preventing opportunities for the virus to spread. Canceling large gatherings is sensible.

Tacking an extra week or two on to an already planned break -- great idea.

May 1, 2018
Any suggestions for those of us who are not College age parents for tourneys? Hand Sanitizer is a no brainer, but it's also air born. Thinking of just holding off on playing tourneys for a few weeks.

Apr 1, 2017
This is about simply preventing opportunities for the virus to spread. Canceling large gatherings is sensible.

Tacking an extra week or two on to an already planned break -- great idea.

I agree that being aggressive right now, could help a lot to reduce the peak of this thing.

The only part of it I don't really understand is between students, teachers, and staff, there are about 3,000 people at our high school. So if they can all be together in school, why not at practice after? I think that in order to cancel the bigger stuff (there was a band concert scheduled for tonight that would have hundreds of parents, etc.), they cancelled everything o keep it 'fair'.

May 29, 2015
University of Illinois and Illinois State University have announced all classes will be online following spring break and students who can stay at their "permanent" homes should do so.

The IHSA state basketball tournament (this weekend and next weekend) just announced they will only allow 60 attendees from each school to be in the stands and no ticket sales to the general public. https://www.ihsa.org/News-Media/Announcements/ihsa-announces-tournament-updates-related-to-covid-19
Games impacted by this change include the 2020 IHSA Class 1A/2A Boys Basketball State Finals on March 13-14, as well as the remaining contests at the Class 3A and Class 4A Sectional, Super-Sectional, and State Final levels. IHSA State Series’ in Debate, Drama & Group Interpretation, and Scholastic Bowl will also operate under a similar premise, with those events being limited to competing students, coaches and essential meet personnel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802