Seasons and Tourneys Cancelled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
My daughter team is down in Florida and played again today. Still planning to play 2 games tomorrow then head back

Jul 3, 2013
Yes, they have canceled -- not just suspended or postponed -- canceled the entire softball and baseball seasons. That means no WCWS or CWS this year. A little surprised they're canceling and not just suspending since those don't occur for a couple months. Lots of uproar to give the seniors another year of eligibility because of this (Expect the NCAA to do whatever the wrong thing is here).

Not all games have been cancelled. All championships have been cancelled. Sure to change, however.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not all games have been cancelled. All championships have been cancelled. Sure to change, however.

Didn't realize it wasn't all games.

If they intended to change, I figured they would say suspended or postponed. It's even stranger that they're canceling tournaments that take place ~3 months from now, but not games happening now.

Jul 3, 2013
Didn't realize it wasn't all games.

If they intended to change, I figured they would say suspended or postponed. It's even stranger that they're canceling tournaments that take place ~3 months from now, but not games happening now.
DD's school has cancelled their games through April 5th. 3 other conference schools have also temporarily suspended their athletics. Other schools in their conference are still playing. That's as of now.

My understanding is that it's up to the schools or conferences for now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2018
Local sports league canceled ALL spring sports (softball, baseball, soccer, lax, etc) for two weeks starting today to be re-evaluated weekly. Then when you add in school's spring break, we'll be lucky to start the spring season by mid April. Shove it all into 6 weeks, I guess between start of the season and end of school for a local town league.

Feb 25, 2018
I listened to a very informative interview with infectious disease epidemiologist Michael Osterholm. He thinks it could be six to nine months before we get this under control.
A couple of his points:

* no vaccine anytime soon
* avoidance of group activities needs to be
longer than just a couple of weeks,
otherwise any squashing of the spread
curve is just short lived.

I fully expect spring high school sports and summer tournaments to be cancelled, which is the right move if we're going to be serious about this.

I won't be calling any games, that's for sure.

Feb 25, 2018
Two more of Osterholm's points:

*carriers of the virus are asymptomatic for up to four days.

*the virus is spread very easily.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok not as a big of a deal as college seniors losing their last year of ball, and literally on the other end of that spectrum, but my 5 YO DS is supposed to start playing his first year of T-ball (1st practice Sunday) this spring. He is going to be very sad if his season is cancelled :(.

May 20, 2015
OK, now that is just weird ... possibly a little late at that point. It is pretty bad seeing coaches walk in to arenas and being notified at that point. But you already have an arena full of people and call it at half time ... wow.

I'm going to say some controversial things now ...
1.) Canceling at that point is NOT good leadership. Things should have been canceled or at least "on notice" before that.

2.) This has me thinking a little more about colleges shutting down and sending students home. Wouldn't it be more prudent to keep them there instead of dispersing them all over the country? Seems like a lock down would have made more sense.

i don't think college healthcare systems were designed to handle what they'd have to handle with an outbreak

and college campuses are so densely populated, the risk for outbreak is greater

May 29, 2015

Yes, sort of. NCAA cannot cancel regular season games, they don’t control those.

Conferences and schools are doing that. Can they play? Technically, yes. Will they play the season out, no.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802