Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Then Mom and her DD can go find another coach who will steal her money. On more than one occasion I've had to stop seeing a kid for something similar, and I'm certainly not going to bow to pressure and start teaching things when she's not ready. Thats like building your house's foundation on quick sand.

Most of the time this comes from the pressure of the girl's teammates who claim their coach has taught her 6 pitches. The daughter hears the teammate has 6 pitches and thinks she's behind. This upsets momma. And when momma is mad, daddy gets mad. And once again it's one of those situations where the other girl doesn't actually have 6 pitches. And I think I've broken some hearts when I have said unapologetically that I only threw 3 pitches, not 7 in my career.
You're doing it the right way Bill.

Give me 3 fastballs and 3 change ups and Ill show you how to win a lot of games

May 23, 2018
I've heard a few parents yell "Great Screwball Honey!!!" to their 10 year old in the last few weeks.

Know any 10 year olds with a screwball?
I hear stuff like that all the time! 12u dad’s claiming that their daughter throws a rise ball. As a former pitcher and someone that teaches pitching, I deal with that nonsense all the time. People don’t realize at the minimum speed that you need the floor with RosemarI deal with that nonsense all the time. People don’t realize at the minimum speed that you need to throw Rise ball is 56 mph. I just nod acquiescently, but know but the parents cause more harm than good. It’s better for a girl to have three solid pitches with Good command Then claiming to throw eight or nine different pitches then claiming to throw eight or nine different pitch. Then the clueless parents Wonder why their daughter gets lit up at 14u.

Nov 18, 2015
... People don’t realize at the minimum speed that you need to throw Rise ball is 56 mph...

Why is 56 the magic #? Is this based on a study or experiment, or your experience? (Not trying to discredit your experience - just need more information before I’m comfortable accepting your statement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I've heard something similar from experienced pitching coaches, though heard 55mph was the velocity floor for introducing the pitch. Essentially the same. Anyway, I assume that anything less than that speed tilts the balance too much in gravity's favor and the pitch won't be able to "drop less" than the batter expects--which is the magic of the rise ball. Instead, it will just drop and end up about belt high.

Sep 3, 2015
I've heard something similar from experienced pitching coaches, though heard 55mph was the velocity floor for introducing the pitch. Essentially the same. Anyway, I assume that anything less than that speed tilts the balance too much in gravity's favor and the pitch won't be able to "drop less" than the batter expects--which is the magic of the rise ball. Instead, it will just drop and end up about belt high.
I have been told the same from one of the most respected PCs. I didn't ask why, assumed it was a spin vs velocity thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
Nothing really magic about the number. Higher velocity gives the brain fewer frames to process, which makes the illusion more powerful. You can throw a riseball at any speed, but without enough velocity the brain can gather enough frames to overcome the illusion.

Its the same reason a breaking pitch with 2" of break thrown at 70 is preferable to a breaking pitch with 6" of break thrown at 50.

May 16, 2016
I hear stuff like that all the time! 12u dad’s claiming that their daughter throws a rise ball. As a former pitcher and someone that teaches pitching, I deal with that nonsense all the time. People don’t realize at the minimum speed that you need the floor with RosemarI deal with that nonsense all the time. People don’t realize at the minimum speed that you need to throw Rise ball is 56 mph. I just nod acquiescently, but know but the parents cause more harm than good. It’s better for a girl to have three solid pitches with Good command Then claiming to throw eight or nine different pitches then claiming to throw eight or nine different pitch. Then the clueless parents Wonder why their daughter gets lit up at 14u.

LOL, 56 is the minimum? Talk about "nonsense". If you had said, "mid fifties with good spin" you may have retained some credibility. And while 56 is above average for a 12u, it certainly is not unheard of, so even by your "opinion" there are plenty of 12u's who could be throwing a true rise.

Jun 19, 2013
Disagree since my DD just hit 56 this year and her riseball has been her best pitch for years. Even when her FB was 51 and her riseball was 48 it was a good pitch. You can refer to KenB, her pitching coach, on here for confirmation of whether she throws an actual riseball too. It's not mommy's wishfull thinking.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Class’s DD throws a wonderful, backspin rise. I just wish I could take credit for it!

I’ve heard “55” referenced a few times, but I’ve seen the backspin rise thrown effectively in the mid 40’s at 12U and upper 40’s at 43 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802