Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2018
"we're working on her change up."

I’m with you on that. My daughter just turned 13 and now in 8th grade and during middle school tryouts this summer I watched all the pitchers tryout. Each time, the coach would ask what pitches can you throw. No lie.. this one girl going into 7th grade said: fastball, screwball, curve, drop, change, rise, screw-rise. So she called em out and asked her to pitch each one... every pitch was a fastball. Even the change was a no deception slow off the rubber slow fastball. She didn’t make the team.. probably threw as fast as my daughter.

I used to get worried before “seeing the light” on DFP, that my daughter was behind. We’re gonna do us and keep perfecting hitting spots with fb and developing the change that Coach James taught her. Not even gonna consider another pitch till she can throw her change up consistently. We’re far from consistent right now. Gotta keep grinding.

Oct 4, 2018
I'd love to have her change up so consistent that coach calls for it 30% of the time or so. It really fools batters.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Not arguing spin because I don’t believe it is possible for a RHP to spin a ball 9:00 to 3:00, but if the “screwball” is so dumb, how do you explain something like this? Watch each pitch Ms. Royalty (Arizona State commit) throws...

ETA: I meant 9:00 to 3:00 for a RHP. 3:00 to 9:00 is curve ball spin for a RHP.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of stride left and throw the tube inside of the plate for a right handed hitter

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
I'd love to have her change up so consistent that coach calls for it 30% of the time or so. It really fools batters.
Its really the other was around. Coach should be calling it to build her confidence. You'll have a better pitcher in the long run if they put wins on the back burner. Bullpen is great but it doesn't carry over well in games with younger players

May 23, 2015
Not arguing spin because I don’t believe it is possible for a RHP to spin a ball 3:00 to 9:00, but if the “screwball” is so dumb,
I dont think anyone is calling anything dumb just calling the pitch what it is. I watched a few ABs and shes good at changing speeds. The hop to the left remains constant on outside and inside pitches. Thay way shes not telegraphing anything

Oct 4, 2018
Not arguing spin because I don’t believe it is possible for a RHP to spin a ball 3:00 to 9:00, but if the “screwball” is so dumb, how do you explain something like this? Watch each pitch Ms. Royalty (Arizona State commit) throws...

Georgia Impact. That's one of the top teams in our state. We lose to them often. :p

Looks to me like her fastball just tails a bit. But what do I know? Watch at the 6:30 mark for about 30 seconds. She does paint the outside corner tremendously. Impressive stuff.

Sep 15, 2015
Not arguing spin because I don’t believe it is possible for a RHP to spin a ball 9:00 to 3:00, but if the “screwball” is so dumb, how do you explain something like this? Watch each pitch Ms. Royalty (Arizona State commit) throws...

ETA: I meant 9:00 to 3:00 for a RHP. 3:00 to 9:00 is curve ball spin for a RHP.

This game was discussed before, and the consensus was that Royalty is throwing a low rise, not a “screwball.” In my limited experience, this is a common mistake, even for “knowledgeable” observers like announcers and college coaches. Everyone just assumes that a pitch down or middle of the zone is not a rise when often times rise ball pitchers are living on that pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Its really the other was around. Coach should be calling it to build her confidence. You'll have a better pitcher in the long run if they put wins on the back burner. Bullpen is great but it doesn't carry over well in games with younger players

Just had this conversation with a parent yesterday-

There are coaches out there that ONLY call it as a strike-out pitch and then get upset when the kid can’t throw it late in a game on Sunday when all the pressure is on, after only getting it called once or twice all day, because she threw it poorly once in a pool game on Saturday.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Just had this conversation with a parent yesterday-

There are coaches out there that ONLY call it as a strike-out pitch and then get upset when the kid can’t throw it late in a game on Sunday when all the pressure is on, after only getting it called once or twice all day, because get threw it poorly once in a pool game on Saturday.

Just another great example of a bad coach. Theres a lot of them

I just watched Miss Royalty pitch to 3 different batters. Her game is simple. Shes deadly accurate. Who cares what spin is on the ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28