Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
If someone could show me how to teach a consistent 1:30-7:30 scrop, I’d fork out $100 for that as well. I can’t speak for sluggers on this one, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he or others would love to know how to teach it.

I’ve seen 4 people throw it. 2 were girls throwing pretty much side arm and it was their only pitch. I’m pretty certain they were eventually called for IP’s by any official who knew that aspect of the rule. The other two threw them inconsistently using a split finger, four seam grip. One was Edy Fontaine who hasn’t posted here in years, and the other is my daughter who occasionally pulls one out of nowhere and can’t replicate it…

A consistent scrop would be a deadly pitch, but dang if I can figure out how to throw it—let alone teach it!
How much do you play around with girl's grips and/or location of the horseshoe when teaching? I would guess every girl's spin/release is unique. Like snowflakes. So playing around with grips/horseshoe location might yield some interesting outcomes. Have any to share?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How much do you play around with grips and/or location of the horseshoe when teaching/OR PRACTICING? I would guess every girl's spin/release is unique. Like snowflakes. So playing around with grips/horseshoe location might yield some interesting outcomes. Have any to share?
Simple and Smart

Would be a great post of its own!
Hint hint...😊

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
How much do you play around with girl's grips and/or location of the horseshoe when teaching? I would guess every girl's spin/release is unique. Like snowflakes. So playing around with grips/horseshoe location might yield some interesting outcomes. Have any to share?
I help them find a comfortable grip then focus on the spin for a FB. I don’t believe the time spent on a two seam grip to get a little, sporadic movement is worth taking time away from learning a good drop, change and rise.

Aug 24, 2021
question....
what are this groups thoughts on how effective a screwball/drop/changeup combo would be against batters, especially when juxtaposed with a more traditional screwball/ semi rise (basically a pitch starting outside middle on RH batter, ending in upper inside of strike zone). speed difference is appr 10 MPH.
thoughts?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
question....
what are this groups thoughts on how effective a screwball/drop/changeup combo would be against batters, especially when juxtaposed with a more traditional screwball/ semi rise (basically a pitch starting outside middle on RH batter, ending in upper inside of strike zone). speed difference is appr 10 MPH.
thoughts?

I’ve seen pitchers get away with one pitch. If they are really good at location.

Jul 22, 2015
If someone could show me how to teach a consistent 1:30-7:30 scrop, I’d fork out $100 for that as well. I can’t speak for sluggers on this one, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he or others would love to know how to teach it.
We called it a "sinker" (from my baseball days) but one of my dd best pitches moved down and it (RH pitcher to RH batter). I'm not sure how you would describe the spin, so it may not be what you are looking for, but she simply used her peel drop release but kept her fingers more inside the ball (towards the thigh). She also used the opposite release with her fingers outside the ball to accomplish the opposite type of movement down and away from a RH batter but she was a little less consistent with this pitch. Either way, even when she "missed" the spin the pitch still dropped.

Jul 19, 2021
At all levels. For example the pitcher for OSU is a drop ball pitcher. She tries to raise the release point. You can’t throw other pitches from the position she creates.
So is that widespread in college or is she an outlier? I'm wondering if we should stick to only one pitch from here out with my DD but doesn't seem smart to base the decision on outliers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802