Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
How many pitchers throw a true screwball that breaks? One that breaks off the plate for righties and breaks from off the plate to over the plate on lefties?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
For a right handed pitcher that's a curve ball. A screwball breaks the other way and, if you're going to use Magnus force, almost impossible to throw.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
How many pitchers throw a true screwball that breaks? One that breaks off the plate for righties and breaks from off the plate to over the plate on lefties?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sluggers and I have $100 each to give anyone with video proof of a 3-9 screw ball (RHP) that breaks. I’ve seen a handful of scrops, but never a screw ball that wasn’t anything more than drive left and throw right.

The video proof has to be good stuff that anyone seeing if would have no doubt. It would be preferable if the spin was visible and even better with a close up slow mo of the release.

Jul 30, 2016
Sluggers and I have $100 each to give anyone with video proof of a 3-9 screw ball (RHP) that breaks. I’ve seen a handful of scrops, but never a screw ball that wasn’t anything more than drive left and throw right.

The video proof has to be good stuff that anyone seeing if would have no doubt. It would be preferable if the spin was visible and even better with a close up slow mo of the release.

Check out 0:15 to 0:40 of this vid. Winner winner chicken dinner?

May 16, 2016
There is no break. That is pure drive left/throw right.

I assume you are talking about the video I posted.

Look at where ball is in this frame, dead center of catcher....
1601314629287.png

And where the ball ends up 3 frames later.... If this was "throw right" then the ball should cross in front of catcher closer to halfway point, that is late break.

1601314718111.png

Attachments

• 1601314571369.png
    1601314571369.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 15

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is no break. That is pure drive left/throw right.
Not addressing wether there is break or not...

Having a pitch with opposite spin can be affective because
'Of it spinning a different direction' visually different and can be mixed into locations.
Especially with different speeds can be useful.

Even if no movement and just going to an outside location. The spin can still have affect apon bat connecting.
Sometimes a pitch that is spinning and appears to the batter like it will be moving out of the strike zone and doesn't,
can still be effective...because it makes batters think.
Can be a pitch used to set up the next selected pitch that does move. Like a similar spin of the rise, even a change up.

Point being call pitches whatever we want the batters still have to contend with the spin!

Exactly 3-9 or 9-3 or NOT
Those 1 or 2 degree's off may become irrelevant!

Call a pitch thats spinning the opposite of a curve, rise screw, drop screw or just screwball ...
imo the word screw is simply verbiage that describes twisting.

Maybe need to say
'with a twist'
so it doesnt offend the true screwball connoisseur aficionados.... ;)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2016
Looks like a curve then a drop (or drop curve)

I'm not sure if you are talking about the slo-mo starting around 0:17 or not. For clarity, the slo-mo looks to my eyes to be 3 to 9 rotation. For a RHP to a RHB that is screw spin. As for the first two "live action" pitches, they are obviously too fast to see the spin, but I'd hesitate to call the first one a curve (unless maybe trying to throw a back-door curve).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Looks like a curve then a drop (or drop curve)
Just for discussion

Are you commenting it shouldnt be called a screwball because of its movement? Its not flat...its curving or dropping?

The spin is clearly twisting inward.
(call it whatever)

? Is the discussion by some to suggest that a screwball can only travel on a flat plane?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28