Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Screwball Video

Apr 12, 2015
Is the discussion by some to suggest that a screwball can only travel on a flat plane?
No. The recent discussion is based on this challenge:

Sluggers and I have $100 each to give anyone with video proof of a 3-9 screw ball (RHP) that breaks. I’ve seen a handful of scrops, but never a screw ball that wasn’t anything more than drive left and throw right.
Which has nothing to do with whether any pitch called a "screwball" can be effective or not, but deals with a very specific scenario.

RADcatcher

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
California
...point is the word 'scrop' is a twisting in and down pitch.

That is to say screw-drop...
Acknowledging it is a form of screwball.

Does the pitch have to
spin inward and be flat
Or can it
spin inward and move up/down
(that video post #223 is a great example of spin)

'Scrop' is the YES answer to that

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The challenge is to prove the existence of a 3-9 screw ball. A game ready pitch that truly moves opposite of a curve. If it exists, being able to see the release from up close would be awesome. Like this:

Dec 6, 2019
I'm not sure if you are talking about the slo-mo starting around 0:17 or not. For clarity, the slo-mo looks to my eyes to be 3 to 9 rotation. For a RHP to a RHB that is screw spin. As for the first two "live action" pitches, they are obviously too fast to see the spin, but I'd hesitate to call the first one a curve (unless maybe trying to throw a back-door curve).
You're right. I was talking about the first live action pitches. First one is definitely a curve.