Screwball examples?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
DFP seems to have it's share of members who work with Tincher (Denny or an associate) so I'm asking for someone to clarify his position on the Screwball. He seems to reference it in a lot of his videos and writings. Is his definition or version of a screwball different than what we have been talking about here?

Apr 12, 2015
DFP seems to have it's share of members who work with Tincher (Denny or an associate) so I'm asking for someone to clarify his position on the Screwball. He seems to reference it in a lot of his videos and writings. Is his definition or version of a screwball different than what we have been talking about here?

The "screwball" my DD's Tincher instructor taught her was nothing more than a step left/throw right thing.

Jul 27, 2015
He teaches two kinds that I know of. They are both basically reverse bullet spin.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I am teaching my DD a "screwball" that I learned from Rick Pauly. He is clear this is not a traditional "movement" pitch in the sense that a RHP is throwing the ball with a 9-3 rotation, which as others have indicated is impossible. It is simply an angled pitch that is meant to catch the front inside corner of the plate. We are using her fastball/dropball action and striding several inches left of the power line--the difference is fairly subtle--and then throwing along this new angled power line. Because you are not driving straight down the power line the pitch may be a few mph slower than your standard fastball/dropball. It might be called a "Scrop." He also teaches it using a rise ball delivery (a "Scrise"). Nothing mystical or magical about it. Just a different look, and possibly a different speed, for the batter to deal with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802