Screwball examples?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
sprtfan, I can tell you without any hesitation and I'm 1000000000% positive that Allison Royalty (who's video you referenced here) does not throw a screwball. She was throwing a "low rise". But because the camera angle was not behind her, it gave the impression that she was angling her pitch or giving it the "screw" factor. Amanda Freed made me throw up in my mouth when she mentioned screwball in the broadcast. Apparently, after the post game interview, Amanda Freed asked Allison about her screwball and was told, in no uncertain terms, it's not a screwball.

You may be asking.... Bill, how can you be so sure this pitcher isn't throwing a screwball? Well, from 2010-2018 I would go to Dallas on a monthly basis and do pitching lessons. Allison was my student since 2014. I am the only pitching coach she's worked with since then.

This is not an Amanda Freed issue, this is an ESPN issue with their commentary teams. Between this game and Michele Smith trying to sensationalize every pitcher on TV, it's no wonder that so many young pitchers think this crap is real. No matter who's pitching, anything thrown high is a rise. Anything low is a drop, anything inside is a screwball, etc.etc. when Michele Smith is talking. This is, of course, regardless of how the ball is spinning or if it actually moves. They go by where it ends up.

Bill
Thanks, I guess I wasn't wrong when I thought something didn't line up when thinking it was a screwball but trusted that the announcers would know what they were talking about. I won't say that we've wasted our time the last year since I really enjoyed the time we spent together but it looks like we might have been better off working on something else.

Jan 28, 2017
sprtfan, I can tell you without any hesitation and I'm 1000000000% positive that Allison Royalty (who's video you referenced here) does not throw a screwball. She was throwing a "low rise". But because the camera angle was not behind her, it gave the impression that she was angling her pitch or giving it the "screw" factor. Amanda Freed made me throw up in my mouth when she mentioned screwball in the broadcast. Apparently, after the post game interview, Amanda Freed asked Allison about her screwball and was told, in no uncertain terms, it's not a screwball.

You may be asking.... Bill, how can you be so sure this pitcher isn't throwing a screwball? Well, from 2010-2018 I would go to Dallas on a monthly basis and do pitching lessons. Allison was my student since 2014. I am the only pitching coach she's worked with since then.

This is not an Amanda Freed issue, this is an ESPN issue with their commentary teams. Between this game and Michele Smith trying to sensationalize every pitcher on TV, it's no wonder that so many young pitchers think this crap is real. No matter who's pitching, anything thrown high is a rise. Anything low is a drop, anything inside is a screwball, etc.etc. when Michele Smith is talking. This is, of course, regardless of how the ball is spinning or if it actually moves. They go by where it ends up.

Bill

How was she throw the really slow pitch that dropped like crazy? Looked like a drop but slow and I assume was her change. Thanks

Aug 21, 2008
How was she throw the really slow pitch that dropped like crazy? Looked like a drop but slow and I assume was her change. Thanks

I'd have to watch the game again to see but, when I last saw her she was throwing the change up I had taught her and worked with her on. I'd be shocked if its not the same pitch. How I threw my change up has been stated on her several times.

Interestingly, here is an example of a pitcher who doesn't play high school softball (she is home schooled).
Bill

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Between this game and Michele Smith trying to sensationalize every pitcher on TV, it's no wonder that so many young pitchers think this crap is real. No matter who's pitching, anything thrown high is a rise. Anything low is a drop, anything inside is a screwball, etc.etc. when Michele Smith is talking. This is, of course, regardless of how the ball is spinning or if it actually moves. They go by where it ends up.
Bill

Exactly. Drives me crazy. (And, yes, Michele Smith was 10X the pitcher my DD ever was.)

Few parents have seen a really good breaking pitch. Here is how to tell if your DD throws a real breaking pitch:

Catch your DD. The first time she throws a real break pitch, it will scare the crap out of you because you will miss the ball by six or seven inches.

Aug 21, 2008
Exactly. Drives me crazy. (And, yes, Michele Smith was 10X the pitcher my DD ever was.)

Few parents have seen a really good breaking pitch. Here is how to tell if your DD throws a real breaking pitch:

Catch your DD. The first time she throws a real break pitch, it will scare the crap out of you because you will miss the ball by six or seven inches.

Ray, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't say "2 time Olympic Gold Medalist Michele Smith". You have to say the whole thing when you mention her name, it's an actual physical law of the universe. EVERY broadcast on ESPN where she's a part, that's how she's identified. It ranks up there with calling someone Mr. or Mrs. Jones instead of Dr. Jones, it's an important distinction.

Bill

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Ray, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't say "2 time Olympic Gold Medalist Michele Smith". You have to say the whole thing when you mention her name, it's an actual physical law of the universe. EVERY broadcast on ESPN where she's a part, that's how she's identified. It ranks up there with calling someone Mr. or Mrs. Jones instead of Dr. Jones, it's an important distinction.

Bill
Bill, you are so on point about this. She does it when she introduces herself! Went to a local clinic she was doing a few years ago and my gosh she said “2 time Olympic gold medalist” more than she said “pitcher”.

Sorry for the diversion.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Riseball, is that one word or two? Hmmmmm?
Like riseball better than screw.
Can use it in or out on any batter.
( lefty or righty)
Can throw it
Lowest
Low
Mid
Higher
Highest

:)
For the time spent developing a pitch rise has more uses.

Mehhh if a screw stays tight and down its useable.

But then i like a drop too....
Hmmmmm?
;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This

Bill
This was funny to read.
You should carry a little bag and some mints if that happens often ;)

Mar 28, 2014
Not a fan of the screwball striding way open stuff. Your asking for monkey butt and no brush.
Lol....but you just watched video of a girl doing it that is playing in the PGF finals and has a scholarship to ASU. But no, we wouldn't want to do THAT would we!

Some of you guys get too caught up into the DFP stuff and think that is the ONLY way to do things. Guess what........ it's not. Keep an open mind. As my Dad used to tell me, "There's more than one way to skin a cat". Brush interference is great but there are girls who don't do it but still have great control and are able to compete at the highest levels. Same with palm up at 3 pm. Neither is bad advice but neither are "requirements" to be an elite level pitcher like so many here would have you believe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12