Screwball examples?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Lol....but you just watched video of a girl doing it that is playing in the PGF finals and has a scholarship to ASU. But no, we wouldn't want to do THAT would we!

texasheat, what do you mean? What is she doing, throwing screwballs?

Aug 20, 2017
Lol....but you just watched video of a girl doing it that is playing in the PGF finals and has a scholarship to ASU. But no, we wouldn't want to do THAT would we!

Some of you guys get too caught up into the DFP stuff and think that is the ONLY way to do things. Guess what........ it's not. Keep an open mind. As my Dad used to tell me, "There's more than one way to skin a cat". Brush interference is great but there are girls who don't do it but still have great control and are able to compete at the highest levels. Same with palm up at 3 pm. Neither is bad advice but neither are "requirements" to be an elite level pitcher like so many here would have you believe.
I’m only speaking from my experience coaching Fastpitch softball. I’ve worked with pitchers that have been taught a million different things. I’ve got a high school pitcher right now that the screwball is her favorite pitch. The stride left (RHP) started to creep into all her other pitches. What happened? Monkey butt and inconsistent brush. What did this lead to? Throwing the ball all over the place. Took some time to fix the bad posture/lack of brush that throwing so many screw balls caused. This is my experience with it. Not my opinion. Plenty of elite pitchers out there that I wouldn’t use as a model for building a pitcher.

Aug 21, 2008
Mr B. Lol not BS'ing.
You said "you threw up in your mouth"
....little bag and mints....

That happens a lot when I watch ESPN softball, so I'm already way ahead of you on the mints. I keep a bag of wint-o-green lifesavers at my side when I watch.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Brush interference is great but there are girls who don't do it but still have great control and are able to compete at the highest levels.
Who? Name names.

The only D1 pitcher I saw without brush interference pitched for Northwestern a few years back. She would be on for a few innings, and then she would walk people like crazy. She walked 8 kids one game, and struck out 14.

Aug 21, 2008
FYI... @Hillhouse, RAD is the real deal when it comes to softball.

Ray, "RAD" and I have had some private messages, we know a few of the same people. While I sometimes find her messages a little cryptic and confusing, there's NO QUESTION she's the real deal, and her passion for the game is second to none.

Bill

Mar 28, 2014
First pic is Sophia Simpson. Texas commit. Throws mid 60's and has great control. Monkey butt and no brush seems to be ok for her and no one is complaining at Texas or the PGF National Championship. Second is the girl that Hillhouse teaches. My response to cornbread stands. He doesn't like stepping to the left because it causes monkey butt and no brush. I say "Why not? She's doing it here and she's in the PGF championship and going to ASU".

There are tons more out there but these happened to occur to me first. Brush interference for accuracy is a myth IMO. Baseball pitchers don't do it yet they have great accuracy.
ss.JPG
bh.JPGbh.JPG

Aug 21, 2008
First pic is Sophia Simpson. Texas commit. Throws mid 60's and has great control. Monkey butt and no brush seems to be ok for her and no one is complaining at Texas or the PGF National Championship. Second is the girl that Hillhouse teaches. My response to cornbread stands. He doesn't like stepping to the left because it causes monkey butt and no brush. I say "Why not? She's doing it here and she's in the PGF championship and going to ASU".

There are tons more out there but these happened to occur to me first. Brush interference for accuracy is a myth IMO. Baseball pitchers don't do it yet they have great accuracy.
View attachment 16734
View attachment 16735View attachment 16735

Without agreeing or disagreeing with you, I would be remiss if I didn't make one small point. Your still photos don't show where these individual pitches went. Were they OUTside on the lefty? WAYYYYY outside? The words BI and "monkey butt" don't really pass through my lips but, both of these pitchers seem to be learning forward in these pics, which dramatically increases the "monkeybutt" appearance. Based off these pictures, I'm guessing both pitchers missed their spots on these pitches significantly. But that happens to all of us now and then.

Admittedly, I have never read much about "BI". What is supposed to brush? The hand? The ball? The wrist? Both of these pitchers look like their making contact with their arm to the body. Typically I catch when I do lessons, I see more when I catch than I do standing beside someone: ball rotation, stride direction, turning shoulders, etc. etc. My comment to Allison Royalty here is that I could see a gap between her arm and body... that's not what we want. But again, there's no way to tell if this is isolated pitches or happened every pitch. It's been 18 months since I've "seen" her for a lesson and I don't remember this being a major issue for her. But then again, my memory is fading. I'm like Dory from Finding Nemo, I forget things quickly.

Ironically, I got a message from this pitcher this morning that she's continuing to work on a straighter stride.

Bill

Mar 28, 2014
Without agreeing or disagreeing with you, I would be remiss if I didn't make one small point. Your still photos don't show where these individual pitches went. Were they OUTside on the lefty? WAYYYYY outside? The words BI and "monkey butt" don't really pass through my lips but, both of these pitchers seem to be learning forward in these pics, which dramatically increases the "monkeybutt" appearance. Based off these pictures, I'm guessing both pitchers missed their spots on these pitches significantly. But that happens to all of us now and then.

Admittedly, I have never read much about "BI". What is supposed to brush? The hand? The ball? The wrist? Both of these pitchers look like their making contact with their arm to the body. Typically I catch when I do lessons, I see more when I catch than I do standing beside someone: ball rotation, stride direction, turning shoulders, etc. etc. My comment to Allison Royalty here is that I could see a gap between her arm and body... that's not what we want. But again, there's no way to tell if this is isolated pitches or happened every pitch. It's been 18 months since I've "seen" her for a lesson and I don't remember this being a major issue for her. But then again, my memory is fading. I'm like Dory from Finding Nemo, I forget things quickly.

Ironically, I got a message from this pitcher this morning that she's continuing to work on a straighter stride.

Bill
You guessed wrong. Both were strikes and it's every pitch Bill. It's how they throw.

BI as told by the DFP posse is the forearm brushing.

My point is, pitching is not black and white. There is a lot of gray but it's hard to tell that sometimes by reading stuff here. I'm trying to help parents of younger pitchers understand that it's OK if your daughter doesn;t throw exactly how the DFP sticky threads say they should throw. Don't throw in the towel or get frustrated if she doesn't mirror what the sticky notes show freaking Rachel Garcia doing. Plenty of good pitchers out there who look nothing like what the DFP sticky notes show. Members here making blanket statements like "You have no accuracy without BI" is flat wrong IMO. My screen shots prove it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45