Scoring question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
Everyone who said 5-2, assuming every runner touched home, is right. Anything in the field is 3-2 final and could be single or double depending on which base the hitter touched before the winning run scored.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Everyone who said 5-2, assuming every runner touched home, is right. Anything in the field is 3-2 final and could be single or double depending on which base the hitter touched before the winning run scored.
That's not necessarily the case. The batter is credited with whatever number of bases the winning run scored if the batter advances as many bases.

For example, tie score in the last inning with a runner at third base and two outs. Batter hits a fly ball deep down the line that the outfielder gives chase. The batter rounds first and reaches second while the ball is still in the air heading for the corner. Finally, the ball hits off the top of the fence in fair territory and bounces back toward the field for a hit. Even though the batter reached second base before the run scored, she is only credited with a single since the winning run only needed to advance one base.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
That's not necessarily the case. The batter is credited with whatever number of bases the winning run scored if the batter advances as many bases.

For example, tie score in the last inning with a runner at third base and two outs. Batter hits a fly ball deep down the line that the outfielder gives chase. The batter rounds first and reaches second while the ball is still in the air heading for the corner. Finally, the ball hits off the top of the fence in fair territory and bounces back toward the field for a hit. Even though the batter reached second base before the run scored, she is only credited with a single since the winning run only needed to advance one base.

I have no idea if the number of bases credited is correct or not...but I want to meet the girl who can reach second while the ball she hit is still in the air. :)

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My apologies for the bad math. GS is 4 runs not 3, so the team would have 5 total as someone pointed out. I forgot about the batter, duh. And, yet, I too have a degree in math! OMG!

Jun 29, 2013

I hadn't thought of it that way, but if the batter hits second, has for all intents and purposes a double under any other scenario, why wouldn't this be a double? Is it because where the batter ends up is irrelevant if the runner on 2 is the winning run? I want to get this right, but am still struggling with why the batter-runner only gets one base.

Jun 7, 2019
I hadn't thought of it that way, but if the batter hits second, has for all intents and purposes a double under any other scenario, why wouldn't this be a double? Is it because where the batter ends up is irrelevant if the runner on 2 is the winning run? I want to get this right, but am still struggling with why the batter-runner only gets one base.

Here's your ruling.

National Fastpitch Coaches Association - ATEC: Beyond The Basics of Scoring Fast Pitch Softball

"Offense: Game Ending Hits
1. A hit that scores a winning run is credited with as many bases as the scoring runner traveled as long as the batter runs out her hit to the appropriate base and reaches there before the play at the plate is completed,

a - an out-of-the park homerun gets credit as a homerun as long as all runners touch all bases, and

b - if the winning run scores on a homerun, but a preceding runner stops running before reaching home (e,g., stops at 3b) the batter is credited with a double."

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
b - if the winning run scores on a homerun, but a preceding runner stops running before reaching home (e,g., stops at 3b) the batter is credited with a double."

Talk about jobbing your batter! Over the fence is over the fence. I'd be pretty ticked at the runner who stops.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
She only gets one base in the scenario I mentioned because the runner who scored the winning run only needed to advance one base to end the game. I don't know why the rule is written that way, but perhaps it's because it prevents shenanigans from taking place for the sole purpose of padding stats.

Say the batter needs a triple to set a record for most total bases in a game in history. The runner at third could stay short of home plate until he sees the batter reach third base, and then he goes and touches home. That wouldn't be right. So the rule for walk-off hits limits the batter to the right number of bases needed for that run to score unless, of course, he hits a home run.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Once the 3rd base runner touches HP, the 2nd base runner touches both 3rd base and HP, and the batter runner touches 1st base, the ballgame ends with the score 3-2. The batter runner does not have to continue to 2nd since the game has ended. The batter runner is credited with a single.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478