Scoring errors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I’m taking over scoring our book this year. When I scored for Rec teams, I was always kind to the defense — errors were reserved for dropped fly balls or balls thrown high over heads. But I’ve realized that might not be fair to pitchers or to hold players accountable. So I was wondering how you think the best way to score a 16u B team is. Should a bobbled ball be an error? Or a misplayed fly? I don’t want to make the girls feel bad, but I also want to give an accurate description of the game.

Any thoughts?

Apr 20, 2015
I’m taking over scoring our book this year. When I scored for Rec teams, I was always kind to the defense — errors were reserved for dropped fly balls or balls thrown high over heads. But I’ve realized that might not be fair to pitchers or to hold players accountable. So I was wondering how you think the best way to score a 16u B team is. Should a bobbled ball be an error? Or a misplayed fly? I don’t want to make the girls feel bad, but I also want to give an accurate description of the game.

Any thoughts?
Routine plays not made are errors. A ground ball hit to your SS not fielded cleanly is an error. A ball she has to dive for not fielded cleanly is not. A teams level of play is what determines what a routine play is...a ball that's not an error in 10u rec might be in 14u A. Be consistent follow the rule of thumb that's if a play should have been made it's likely an error.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

in the first paragraph is a link to how to score errors.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I think you will find this helpful in scoring games, I know I have...

If you are the official scorer, you need to use your best judgment based on the scoring rules (whether the above or some other). I often find that once or twice a game there are plays that could go either way. I think most (including the NCAA) would say that when in doubt, you should credit the batter. That is, you should not err on the side of scoring errors.

Other things to keep in mind: When thinking about "ordinary effort" you should think whether an average player at the level you are playing would/should have made the play in question.

Another question you can ask yourself (one that I saw referenced in another scoring guide): All things considered, does the player deserve an error on the play? Something that you think would have been a "great play"--but the ball ends up bouncing away--should not be scored an error.

It's more an art than a science. The more you do it, the better your judgment will become. Just know that you will never keep everyone happy when scoring the game (and this isn't the goal). Garbage in=Garbage out

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I think most (including the NCAA) would say that when in doubt, you should credit the batter. That is, you should not err on the side of scoring errors.

All true, especially this. An error is the failure to make the routine play. While there can be some adjustments for age and ability, keeping that definition in mind will lead to the right call more often than not. A ball hit exceptionally hard, even though it might be within a step of the fielder may not be an error. Most anything a player has to sprint or extend for isn't an error. From what I've seen, college scorekeepers are less likely to see / charge an error than many in youth softball.

Oct 4, 2018
Funny (to me) thing this weekend. My DD broke her foot so was at the tournament cheering, but I didn't go.

While watching on Game Changer, the feed delayed so I switched and followed the game scored by the other team. Girl on our team hits the ball, and it's scored an E5.

When I go back to the feed from my team's scorer, I see it was ruled a hit.

Kind of made me wonder what really happened.

A) It was totally an error but our scorer was being nice
B) It was totally a hit but the scorer of the other team's daughter wants to play third so he called it an E6
C) One of the scorers wasn't paying attention and just guessed
D) None of the above

Oct 4, 2018
I think you will find this helpful in scoring games, I know I have...

If you are the official scorer, you need to use your best judgment based on the scoring rules (whether the above or some other). I often find that once or twice a game there are plays that could go either way. I think most (including the NCAA) would say that when in doubt, you should credit the batter. That is, you should not err on the side of scoring errors.

Other things to keep in mind: When thinking about "ordinary effort" you should think whether an average player at the level you are playing would/should have made the play in question.

Another question you can ask yourself (one that I saw referenced in another scoring guide): All things considered, does the player deserve an error on the play? Something that you think would have been a "great play"--but the ball ends up bouncing away--should not be scored an error.

It's more an art than a science. The more you do it, the better your judgment will become. Just know that you will never keep everyone happy when scoring the game (and this isn't the goal). Garbage in=Garbage out

Three good points from that document:

Note 1: Slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error.

Note 2: It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error. If a ground ball goes through a fielder’s legs or a pop fly falls untouched and, in the scorer’s judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, an error should be charged.

Note 3: Mental mistakes or misjudgments are not to be scored as errors unless specifically covered in the rules

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812