Scoring an error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
This sounds like an error, though I'd have to see it. This is where the "doesn't have to touch the glove" part could come into play. But if I'm scoring, I'm taking into account how hard the ball was hit, how far the RF had to run, etc. Simply getting there does not necessarily mean it was an error, but it sounds like it was a play that should've been made. Again, age/level matters here. At 10u, you really should only be calling them errors if it's in and out of the glove because anything else goes beyond ordinary effort.

It was a HS game so that weighed in on my decision in that case.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
In the case of the hit to right, I actually agreed with the other scorekeeper. The RF had time and the ability to get there. She just miss played it when she arrived.
If she didn't get there in time to catch it, how did she miss play the ball? She was playing deep and ball was hit closer to 1B and near foul line. By this, anytime a fielder doesn't catch a ball in the OF it should be an error?

May 16, 2016
If she didn't get there in time to catch it, how did she miss play the ball? She was playing deep and ball was hit closer to 1B and near foul line. By this, anytime a fielder doesn't catch a ball in the OF it should be an error?

This is where the scorekeeper's "Judgement" comes into the equation.

"in the official scorer’s judgement, a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ground ball and retired a runner.”

Jun 11, 2013

"in the official scorer’s judgement, a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ground ball and retired a runner.”
So your position is that any play that you feel should have been made is an error? If an OF takes a step back on a ball and it drops you give an error? If an If misjudges the speed and takes a bad angle it's an error?

May 16, 2016
So your position is that any play that you feel should have been made is an error? If an OF takes a step back on a ball and it drops you give an error? If an If misjudges the speed and takes a bad angle it's an error?

My position is, if a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ball and retired a runner, it can be scored an error.

Mar 4, 2015
New England

IMO, scorekeepers should avoid judging whether a player should've/could've gotten to the ball and focus on whether she caught or fielded it cleanly once she got there. The ordinary effort should be applied to catching and throwing, not getting into position.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia

It would have been a great catch had she made it - but then again - should I assume that 2B or 1B could have backed up to make the play? Or give them errors since we all have seen 2Bs that make really good catches in the OF.

May 16, 2016
It would have been a great catch had she made it - but then again - should I assume that 2B or 1B could have backed up to make the play? Or give them errors since we all have seen 2Bs that make really good catches in the OF.

If you are saying that, then it's beyond Ordinary Effort, and no Error scored. But, if you are saying, how in the heck did she miss that... well...

Aug 6, 2013
Sounds like no errors at all to me. If anyone has to sprint to make a catch then that’s not ordinary effort. I also don’t give errors to IF that don’t make a play in the OF.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802