Score this play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2018
Makes sense. In the spur of the moment without thinking about it a ton, I would have scored it the 6-3. It's just interesting to think about how others would score it and their interpretation.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Makes sense. In the spur of the moment without thinking about it a ton, I would have scored it the 6-3. It's just interesting to think about how others would score it and their interpretation.

There really is no interpretation.

Fielders Choice is only used if the fielder doesn't make a play on the batter-runner when they had the opportunity to get that player out at first but instead attempts to get a different runner out (successful or not) and the batter-runner makes it to first base safely. It can also be scored if there was no chance to get the batter-runner out but the fielders do manage to get a different runner out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It can also be scored if there was no chance to get the batter-runner out but the fielders do manage to get a different runner out.

I got into a "discussion" over this one with a parent. The player had hit a fly ball to CF that dropped in front of F8. F8 didn't have a chance to get the B-R, but got the force out at 2B on R1. This was correctly scored as a FC. Parent was insistent that DD should get credited with a hit because F8 didn't have a chance to make the out at 1B. Parent was not happy.

Jun 12, 2015
I got into a "discussion" over this one with a parent. The player had hit a fly ball to CF that dropped in front of F8. F8 didn't have a chance to get the B-R, but got the force out at 2B on R1. This was correctly scored as a FC. Parent was insistent that DD should get credited with a hit because F8 didn't have a chance to make the out at 1B. Parent was not happy.

You can tell when a parent is all about their own kid rather than the team, because they're so busy obsessing over how every play or at bat their kid is involved in is scored. The coach knows what he knows about the players even if he has zero stats. I prefer that score keeping be accurate, obviously, but getting up in arms over one at bat, especially when it was scored CORRECTLY, is ridiculous.

Jul 15, 2015
My DD is a pitcher. The parent on our team that handles GameChanger doesn't understand what a FC is. After a game, I will look at the box score and my DD will have given up 10 hits. Can go back through the game and 40% of them are where the team got the lead runner out, but the parent rules it as a single. Frustrating but I tend to laugh it off and move on (somewhat). On the other hand, our team batting average is pretty good.

Mar 13, 2010
In regards to whether it’s earned or not it generally can’t be decided at the time.

If the runner at one was the second out and the next batter gets out then yes it’s unearned. (As the dig would be over)

If the next batter steps up and hits a single to right field, it’s an earned run. Cause she would have come home on that play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28