School me on D3 softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Raleigh NC
With 12 years experience as a DIII head softball coach.... I will give you my perspective.

My daughter has a couple schools on her list that are D3. She isn't set on going to a D1 school but would rather go to a smaller school where she can get a good education. To be honest, after visiting a couple of the smaller schools, they are the kind of school I would like to see her at. They are schools that have good programs in what she wants to study and the schools have great reputations. I'm just unclear about a few things.
1. D3 offers no athletic scholarships. Scholarship dollars are all academic. I get that. My daughter is doing great in the classroom. So my question is, if she goes to a D3 school that is $40,000 a year, how much can good grades knock off? I know it's hard to tell without more info...just trying to get some idea.

1. All merit scholarship dollars are based on HS academic performance (GPA) and standardized testing (SAT/ACT). It is a simple matrix.... xxx gpa, yyy SAT, dollars awarded. They can vary from $6000.00 - Full tuition at my school. This amount is the same as an incoming student who couldn't find 1st base on a softball field. 4 years award, as long as academic criteria is met.
2. Endowments. Other tools used by private colleges to fund additional need based or criteria based ( major, religion, etc) to assist and fund a potential student. Open to all students applying to school. 4 years award.. see above

3. Work study... based on economic background of family. can be an additional $2000.00 a year. Yearly award, based on family income.
4. Legislative grants... Some states, mine included, provide xxx dollars per year to students of tax payers with the state, to offset benefits of achieved from attending state funded university system.. My kids get approx $2000.00 a year. awarded every year.
5. Private based scholarships... earned by the student, some are yearly, some are 4 year.
6. Pell grants based on need and income

7. Stafford loans... all freshman qualify, amount increases each year... interest paid by Feds until 6 months after graduation. Free money for 4.5 years.. Everyone should take it...

Fafsa.... Free application for Federal Student Aide... file every year... will generate an EFC ( Estimated Family Contribution). This is the number most school use as they award grants, scholarships, etc... formula is Cost of admission + room and board, minus EFC = amount of dollars awarded...

2. Isn't there a chance she could go to a D2 that is that same price as the D3, and get just as much scholarship money from the D2 as the D3? The only difference would be D2 is academic/athletic dollars and the D3 is all academic dollars.

This is true... but DII only has 7.2 scholarship dollars.... unless your a big time pitcher, etc... most kids get 1-2 grand... I can usually match that with Work study...

3 She is being contacted by one school already as a junior. Let's say she decides to go there. Is she really committing to anything other than her education? You can't verbally commit or sign to a D3 school can you? I mean, couldn't she just apply to the school, show up on day 1 of classes and try out for the team, or is the coach actually holding a spot for her? I'm thinking it is more just her telling the coach she is coming, and they waiting for her to register at the school. Does a D3 coach actually have a list of incoming recruits?

The good DIII programs recruit their butts off.... while their is no NLI, most of the kids will announce their choices... There is nothing binding, but in our case, I reserve a spot for her for the first year.... The top 40 or so DIII schools can compete with 95% of all DII's and plenty of DI programs... DIII is more about the whole college experience, which is more than softball, but at the same time, tons of playing time... DIII schools include places like MIT, Emory, Carnegie Mellon, Tufts, Williams, Ithaca, to name a few high academic members...

The biggest difference is the amount of time that the coaches have with the athletes during the school year.. DIII gets 19 weeks... DII and DI jump up considerably.

Make a good choice.... don't make your signing day, the greatest day of your career...

Jul 9, 2010
3She is being contacted by one school already as a junior. Let's say she decides to go there. Is she really committing to anything other than her education? You can't verbally commit or sign to a D3 school can you? I mean, couldn't she just apply to the school, show up on day 1 of classes and try out for the team, or is the coach actually holding a spot for her? I'm thinking it is more just her telling the coach she is coming, and they waiting for her to register at the school. Does a D3 coach actually have a list of incoming recruits?

Was curious to check in and see how things are going?

I wish you well!

May 13, 2008
Was curious to check in and see how things are going?

I wish you well!
Thanks for asking. She has been to two D3 campuses and she loved both, one more than the other. Both coaching staffs talked like they wanted her and they were both great. Both campuses were beautiful and both had awesome facilities. She is a pitcher and one of the coaches said they are always looking for pitchers. Only one school had seen her play. Both want her schedule as soon as we know it. Both said to stay in touch through next year and they would do the same. She got follow up emails from both saying they really appreciated her coming to see the campus. We didn't talk financial specifics with either. DD takes her ACTs in mid December, and I'm guessing her score will be a factor (she is expecting to do well). Seemed really early to even ask. We were more concerned with the school itself.
DD loved the thought of college first and still being able to play.
She is in the process of setting up an unofficial visit to a D2 she is interested to see as well. It will be interesting to see how the visits compare.
So here is my question: Are the D3s waiting to see if players pick a D1 or D2 first, and if the kids doesn't get those offers, they then make one? Do D3's offer as soon as they know they want the kid hoping the kid will say yes to them? Does every player that visits get the "we want you" treatment? The reason I ask is that I think if either of these two schools (one in paricular) would say "we want you", she would say "yes" and be very happy about it. Again, it is December of her junior year, so we understand no offer may come for a while, if at all. A lot can change in a year and a half.

Jan 13, 2009
I'll give you my experience because my daughter has chosen two DIII schools. Both schools she would attend for academic reasons alone. She has been told by coaches, professors and admissions at both schools that her major (nursing) and athletics don't go together. That is why she sought DIII. Each has been a different experience:

The first private school has a rolling admissions process. She has been accepted and we already know the merit scholorship amount. The softball coach has said she wants her on the team, but "I can only hand out 20 uniforms in the spring and they go to whoever survives."

The second state school has a traditional acceptance process and my daughter won't find out if she was accepted until March. The coach has told her he wants her and has essentially reserved a spot for her on his team but my daughter responded with a "It has to make financial sense." Because it is out of state, she is worried that she will not be able to get reasonable tuition.

I personally don't like the idea of keeping college coaches on the hook until March, but I don't know of a better way of handling the situation. This is the double edged blade of playing DIII ball. Both coaches and players can use it to their advantage.

Jul 9, 2010
84warrior - In our case, the coach first talked to us in Oct of her junior year. He kept touch with her, but wasn't giving the hard sell. He talked to her about like you mentioned - I'll keep tabs on you, you keep tabs on us. Then, in about May, he started to ramp up the conversations.

I think , if she is just now taking her ACT, that will go a long ways in helping you, and the school/coach, have an idea of what sort of aid she might qualify for. It's a good idea to have those scores before you talk in really seriousness with the school. Also, do your estimated need aid, using a FAFSA estimator.

At my DD's school, the coach did lose one commit to a D2 school. However, the other girls all met, started talking, and decided they all wanted to play together. He has 5 commits right now, and is working on a few others. 4 of the 5 had a D1 or D2 offer, but they all decided they wanted to stay together.

It has been hard, actually, for my DD over the past 2 weeks. One of the D1's we had been talking with contacted her again, just to make sure her commitment was solid. They wanted her to come visit. We went throught all sorts of emotions, but she is holding firm. I suppose tha Dream University could come along and make the Offer of a Lifetime, and she'd have to consider it. But, I think that is part of life in D3.

I don't think every kid that visits gets the we want you treatment. Again, at my DD's school, I know of half a dozen players that have contacted the school, and expressed interest. The coach did make an effort to see them all play, but dropped the discussion in some cases. This does not mean they are not good players, but he already has commitments for some of those positions, and he is not going to have 25 kids on the team.

I think the key for them is they probably need to have some comfort that:
1) she can get admitted (need scores for that) and
2) that she is really interested. She can tell them that in response.

If she wanted to commit, they'd probably be glad to do that, but it might be a little early for her yet. This recruiting process is an emotional roller coaster, and, unfortunately, she probably has a few more months to ride it.

If she is really very interested in one of the schools (or both), I would have her email them back telling them so. As soon as she gets her scores, tell them about it. Keep them updated on HS and TB. Let them know how her grades are going, etc. In short, she needs to maintain contact so they have her at the top of their list.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You have to look at things from the D3 coach's perspective. Come spring of 2012, she has to field a team, with or without your DD. So, if she thinks she doesn't have a chance to get your DD, she isn't going to invest time and energy. If she thinks your DD isn't going to help her team, she isn't going to waste her time.

Are the D3s waiting to see if players pick a D1 or D2 first, and if the kids doesn't get those offers, they then make one?

No. They will start talking to your seriously when your DD starts being serious about going to the D3 school. Just like anyone else, they don't want to be considered "the school of last resort" for your DD. They want your DD to go to the school because it is the best fit for your DD.

Do D3's offer as soon as they know they want the kid hoping the kid will say yes to them?

No. They will start getting serious with your DD if your DD is serious about going to that school.

Does every player that visits get the "we want you" treatment?

No. If the coach thinks your DD would be a good addition to the team AND if she/he thinks your DD might go to that school, then your DD will get the "we want you" treatment.

May 7, 2008
As someone who has been a DIII head coach for a few years, I certainly couldn't have said it better than WndMllr above. sluggers' post just above this one is excellent, as well. It truly is a process of us getting serious about someone once we think (1) they are good enough to be someone we want; and (2) we know they are serious about us.

Speaking of DIII's recruiting, my experience as a high school/travel coach and now a DIII coach is that it's all over the board. Any DIII school not recruiting isn't likely to be any good. I know my whole league recruits, some harder than others, but they all recruit. I will be in Colorado for most of the week for Fireworks, etc., I may be in Vegas for the J.O. in June, I go to Huntington Beach twice in the fall, and then also hit the more local exposure tournaments. I am somewhere pretty much every weekend from early June through ASA or Premier Nationals. Most of the initial contacts I have with a girl begin in their sophomore or junior year. If they have waited until their senior year, it's probably too late unless they are clearly a player who has the ability to play DII or DI. If a girl comes to our school and shows up on Day 1 in the fall to try out, she has pretty much zero chance to make the roster. We will have already guaranteed several roster spots to our recruiting class for that year, and will have almost all of our returning players back.

As of now we have three commitments for Fall 2011 and on the verge of a fourth. Of course these commitments aren't binding, but each Div. III coach has a very good feel for who could back out and who is rock solid.

Going back to how much recruiting we do and how far we travel, a lot depends on the school. The two types of Div. III schools that I see do a lot of traveling to Colorado or wherever else are (1) geographically isolated schools, which mine somewhat falls into; and (2) extremely highly selective schools that need to scour the country for girls with at least a 2000 or 2100 SAT.

May 5, 2008
Regarding D3- some of the best academic programs in the country are at D3 schools, they can be taken
very seriously

Thank you for posting that. Some DIII schools are some of the BEST in the entire nation. Ultimately your DD has to choose a place that's a good fit for her ALL the way around. Softball is just a piece.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee