Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
Hey gator5, congrats to your family. I am curious as I have had conversation with parents who expect to receive or did receive athletic offers. Most are unaware of the net price calculators and the the outcome of using it vis-a-vis their families situations. I always ask

I am not sure I totally understand your question. I live in a high income, and super expensive to live, area. We will not qualify for any financial aid at all. So every penny of athletic and academic money will be money saved. (I realize there are some tax implications for any money that goes towards R&B. But that would go against my daughter's income so I am not concerned)

Apr 20, 2015
@gator5 we're in the same boat as not qualifying for any financial aid. So its all scholarship academic or athletic for us. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Parents seem to focus on the % or the dollars that will receive instead of what they actually will have to pay out of pocket. When I hear parents say, little Suzy got a full ride to XYZ D1 school and she playes 1B. I usually give them the side eye. Whatchu' talkin' 'bout Willis? Now I would give them the Joe Biden "C'mon Man!" What they fail to tell you is that just 50% of the tuition is taken care of and might have been told that they might qualify for some academic monies if they can maintain a 3.5 GPA, but they have to pay for housing and meal plans which is almost as much as tuition if not more depending on the school. It's not always straight forward, and I don't have the energy to go down the personal info with these parents. In all reality, they won't be on the team in 2 years. I will start another thread, based on the next paragraph that I typed, but deleted.

Jun 7, 2016
OS summed up my intention. And that was that colleges have more ways to express aid to families than a car dealer has to make a buck on your new vehicle. Some folks are unaware they may qualify for merit aid or financial need based on their circumstances and they will not get that money if a scholarship is provided through athletics.
Try to know YOUR situation before you pounce on an offer (be a smart shopper)

Jul 27, 2015
Parents seem to focus on the % or the dollars that will receive instead of what they actually will have to pay out of pocket. When I hear parents say, little Suzy got a full ride to XYZ D1 school and she playes 1B. I usually give them the side eye. Whatchu' talkin' 'bout Willis? Now I would give them the Joe Biden "C'mon Man!" What they fail to tell you is that just 50% of the tuition is taken care of and might have been told that they might qualify for some academic monies if they can maintain a 3.5 GPA, but they have to pay for housing and meal plans which is almost as much as tuition if not more depending on the school. It's not always straight forward, and I don't have the energy to go down the personal info with these parents. In all reality, they won't be on the team in 2 years. I will start another thread, based on the next paragraph that I typed, but deleted.

I know what I have to pay each year. There is no guessing on our part. I am a former financial analyst and have a spreadsheet with the costs and scholarships on them. This is not my first child to go to college so I have a pretty good clue on the expenses.

Interestingly enough (to me), she/we did not go with the best offer money wise. She had a fantastic offer (75% of tuition and room and board), but the school was not a good fit. So she said no to D1s and went to a D2 which offered her a decent package, but way more importantly, had the unique major she wanted. We also really liked the coach which helped too. In our minds, she made the best choice academically and softball wise.

Now I just need to make sure I don't get laid off.

Nov 18, 2013

Whenever I see a parent talk about their DD’s “Full Ride for softball” I just assume they’re lying. Either outright, or as you said only talking about tuition or including academic money and student loans.

I understand the anxiety of the situation and just wanting to know. What I have figured out is there are no magic bats and no free rides. When and if she graduates she will be in debt like the rest of us. The opportunity to play college sports already shows she is a successful person and this is a short window of opportunity in her lifetime. So a few thousand bucks should not kill a dream. Life is short teach her to work hard to be successful and keep reaching her goals. The financial side will work itself out.

Jun 7, 2016
G5, good to hear you are making decisions that fit your DD best. Not every family has financial flexibility to maneuver as you do. And alot of families are not as knowledgeable about the process (i am no expert), just wanted to put some info on the board for perhaps those whose not been thru this (w/or w/o softball).
All this is said to try to help others, I realize it can come across as condescending. That is not my intention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802