Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
I will know this answer myself in a few days after my daughter writes her coach, but I am anxious to know the answer now.

My daughter has been verbally told her athletic and academic scholarship amounts from the school she picked (2021). Today she received her official acceptance package from the university. I was expecting to see the $$ part included, but it was not.

How does the scholarship and LOI paperwork go?

Or course my worst fear is that they will have a budget cut and not give her athletic scholarship money. I would like to know that now instead of finding out in a month. As I stated above, she will write the coach tomorrow, but I am hoping someone who has done this before can shed some light for me now.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DD's path was not the typical one...go to school first, then join team. However, she would have gone to the school regardless. I wouldn't sign anything that committed my kid to a program unless there were numbers and language on a piece of paper that I could live with signed by someone with the power to make it happen. That's a contract. Anything else is just talk.

Dec 6, 2016
Same thing with my daughter. Here's what happened during our process over a 3 year period: She was told the scholarship amount during her offer(9th grade), she committed (9th grade), coach quit (11 grade), new coach hired (12th grade), she signed LOI (12th grade), new coach quit after a year (2 months before reporting to college) , 3rd coach hired, applied to school. Then about a month after applying and before she had to show up on campus, we got the actual dollars of her scholarship. We were worried the whole time about different coaches coming in and the scholarship amount being communicated to the "right" people. It all worked out for us...hope it does for you and your family!

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
DD got the Financial Aid Agreement and the NLI (Nat'l Letter of Intent) a few days before signing period. Both were signed and returned on National Signing day (Nov 9th) in her case.

This is for D1.

Jul 27, 2015
Same thing with my daughter. Here's what happened during our process over a 3 year period: She was told the scholarship amount during her offer(9th grade), she committed (9th grade), coach quit (11 grade), new coach hired (12th grade), she signed LOI (12th grade), new coach quit after a year (2 months before reporting to college) , 3rd coach hired, applied to school. Then about a month after applying and before she had to show up on campus, we got the actual dollars of her scholarship. We were worried the whole time about different coaches coming in and the scholarship amount being communicated to the "right" people. It all worked out for us...hope it does for you and your family!
That is crazy. I would have definitely been anxious on that one.

On a side note, I did not get any notifications for this thread or else I would have replied sooner.

Jun 20, 2015
I am surprised there hasn't been lawsuits over the LOI rules and non rules.

There have been several , and it's a binding contract. and limited avenues to appeal. If player signs LOI, school signs LOI and it's filed with NCAA / and LOI folks, unless school lets player out, they are committed to that school's sports program for the next academic year.

Jun 7, 2016
Hey gator5, congrats to your family. I am curious as I have had conversation with parents who expect to receive or did receive athletic offers. Most are unaware of the net price calculators and the the outcome of using it vis-a-vis their families situations. I always ask them how much did the scholarship save above and beyond what the athletic department kicked in. Have yet to get a straitforward answer. (mostly hear about the amount of scholarship). So, if you are inclined, run the NPC to find out what your family would pay without the athletic money, and see if the coach is actually saving you anything. If you wish not to discuss it, I respect that. At the least it may give you some bargaining leverage with college.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom