Scenic City Cancelled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
They actually moved "Scenic City Summer" to August last week before it was cancelled and changed the original Scenic City June 4-7, to "Scenic City Virtual". There have been lots of changes and lives to this Showcase. :ROFLMAO:
Wow, I cant keep up. So do you know if the event on August 6-8 is cancelled? Whatever they are calling that one:LOL:

Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
We saw the writing on the wall for this cancellation, and I am not surprised it has just been moved instead of completely cancelled. I don't think we can attend the August dates because we start school and school ball in Georgia that week. We will use the credit in the future and continue to go to this showcase because it is awesome typically, well organized and tons of coaches of every level come and watch at multiple fields. It may not be all the same girls on our team next year, but hopefully whatever team they go to will be in the same boat with a Scenic City credit.

Wow, I cant keep up. So do you know if the event on August 6-8 is cancelled? Whatever they are calling that one:LOL:

Scenic City is now being held August 5-9th. They threw in several other dates and were still trying to make Scenic City Summer a go on the June dates, even though everyone knew that Chattanooga was not going to allow the use of the fields, they added a $300 per team "online gate fee" to the event (because they knew they were not going to be allowed spectators at best), and threw in the live streaming of games.

Their refund policy has always been crap at 25% if no games are played and it is a gamble many have accepted because it is usually a well attended event for college coaches in the east. This is a different situation totally and they should have offered a refund instead of a credit. However, amazingly, before they offered to move the credit to a later event, they increased their Scenic City Fall event to an $1,175 entry fee, which has been $875 in the past.

A lot of teams / organizations are taking this issue to the college coaches and many college coaches are not happy with how Connect Sports has played this. They can expect some significant problems as they move forward.

May 29, 2015
We saw the writing on the wall for this cancellation, and I am not surprised it has just been moved instead of completely cancelled. I don't think we can attend the August dates because we start school and school ball in Georgia that week. We will use the credit in the future and continue to go to this showcase because it is awesome typically, well organized and tons of coaches of every level come and watch at multiple fields. It may not be all the same girls on our team next year, but hopefully whatever team they go to will be in the same boat with a Scenic City credit.

To me, that is the biggest issue with "we'll just hold it for credit towards next year" ... teams are not the same year to year. So, is your team giving any refund to your current players and planing on charging that cost to the players next year (the ones who actually get to play)? Or are your outgoing players subsidizing your future players?

May 29, 2015
Dirtbags like this tournament should not be patronized in the future. Teams may not be able to use credit going forward (possibly cease to exist). Players may not continue with their organization (age out, find new interests etc). It is immoral that an organizer would hold the money. Not sure who I am more disappointed in the tournament organizers who do this, the the organizations that sell the scholarship myth, or the parents who ultimately buy into it tolerate so much bull$^!^ so their kids can play a game.
And before anyone tells me how these directors have sunk costs etc. I am a small business owner. And as such we make investments in our business KNOWINGLY taking the risk that the investment may not payoff. "This is the life we chose." They are not providing the service, the money should be returned.

... and ABSOLUTELY that!

If I ran a retail business and sold items I couldn't get, I don't think anybody would be OK with me just keeping the money because "I already had to pay for my website and I already bought stamps to ship the items (and I need paid, but nobody wants to say that)."

I am not familiar with this tournament or organization, but somebody already mentioned the "many lives and names" it has had, but that raises my eyebrow. Nothing is to stop them from keeping your money, folding, and "creating" a new business to run the next tournament.

Jul 21, 2012
The August one is called "Scenic City Summer", they moved the All-Star game to that weekend. I assume it will be considered the actual Scenic City. We had planned to play the original date because a credit wouldn't have helped us and we can't practice where we live now.

Dec 11, 2010
It’s a shame this tournaments administration was screwed up.

It was often a “who’s who” of coaches especially if you were on the middle Summit fields.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802