Scenario Rule-Baseball and/or softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Interesting scenario...so ignoring whether the ball was intentionally dropped or not...if the runner at 1st is tagged while on the base, she is out due to force. She is not protected from the force by standing on the base. However, if the base is touched first...the batter-runner is out, negating the force out for the runner. Is that right?

Jun 11, 2013
yes that's right
Interesting scenario...so ignoring whether the ball was intentionally dropped or not...if the runner at 1st is tagged while on the base, she is out due to force. She is not protected from the force by standing on the base. However, if the base is touched first...the batter-runner is out, negating the force out for the runner. Is that right?
[/

May 16, 2016

I don't think you can tag the runner out if they are still on first, unless the batter/runner also occupies first at the same time. To get the force double play, you would need to throw to 2nd, then back to first. Or tag the runner off first base, then throw to first.

May 1, 2018
If the runner was not tagged first the batter was out. Tag the runner and then touch the base double play.

Aug 25, 2019
I don't think a runner can ever be tagged out if they are on a base by themselves, force or no force.

Oct 24, 2010
I don't think a runner can ever be tagged out if they are on a base by themselves, force or no force.

If the runner is forced to advance (because the batter-runner has put the ball in play) that runner loses the right to the base and may be tagged out even while in contact with the base. Hawk_ is correct. All force outs are removed when the batter-runner has been put out.

May 29, 2015
Well, the project wasn’t a failure, but the smoke preceding the flames wouldn’t have happened had she ... oh, you mean the play ... ;)

I posted it somewhere above (I think).

If the ball wasn’t catchable with ordinary effort, it sounded like we had the batter-runner out on the force and the runner still safe at first base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood