SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There are many issues with Chris's son clip. Changing hitters isn't easy. Creating connection which is a result of a efficient transfer of the kinetic chain is not easy. There is not one drill that can accomplish connection.

Chris,

In the above clip, there is no posture and swing plane alignment. The swing is happening with the back arm dropping and the front shoulder/arm lifting. Tilting happening in a different plane of the torso. To much down and up actions (tilting) which results in a loss of the front shoulder/arm of having an mechanical advantage.

This pattern is why he is on top of the front leg and the front leg is still soft at contact.

This movement pattern is directly related to bat drag.

The front shoulder is gone before heel plant (lifted upwards).

There is no intent to pick apart the swing. Just a quick reply on "some" of the issues with the above swing.

Just a friendly reply.

Oct 12, 2009
There are many issues with Chris's son clip. Changing hitters isn't easy. Creating connection which is a result of a efficient transfer of the kinetic chain is not easy. There is not one drill that can accomplish connection.

Chris,

In the above clip, there is no posture and swing plane alignment. The swing is happening with the back arm dropping and the front shoulder/arm lifting. Tilting happening in a different plane of the torso. To much down and up actions (tilting) which results in a loss of the front shoulder/arm of having an mechanical advantage.

This pattern is why he is on top of the front leg and the front leg is still soft at contact.

I won't disagree with, and am not surprised by, any of this given that I have done very little work with him.

I'm just trying to let him be a kid.

His before swing was very typical but, as Bucket Dad was classy enough to note, his after swing, while not perfect, is moving in the right direction.

One problem with many instructors and parents is that they have completely unrealistic expectations when it comes to the rate of progress. Sometimes you have to just bide your time and wait until a kid is ready for instruction.

Oct 12, 2009
The swing is happening with the back arm dropping and the front shoulder/arm lifting. Tilting happening in a different plane of the torso. To much down and up actions (tilting) which results in a loss of the front shoulder/arm of having an mechanical advantage.

This isn't a very accurate analysis.

BatDrag_Before_CLIENT_006_003_001_56-96_SF.gif

In truth, what's going on is that he is very back arm dominant (which is common in bat drag).[1]

His front arm is basically just along for the ride, which is why it doesn't bar out.

What you see in terms of the front arm is the result of him pulling hard with his back arm (see Frame 72). This causes his back elbow to slide forward to a position of leverage which knocks his front shoulder up and out of the way.

It also creates the swing plane issues as the barrel dumps due to the back elbow sliding forward.[2]

You can see the same thing -- a leaky back elbow -- in higher-level hitters who were taught to pull the knob to the ball. Their back elbow leaks forward as they try to get it to a position of leverage.

The same basic thing is going on with my son, not because I taught him that but because he figured it out on his own and because it has worked well through last year.

Now, we're moving him to a more core-driven model. That will fix the swing plane issues in the process.

ibl2rk.jpg

You can see some lingering swing plane issues in this clip -- at Frame 11 his shoulders are tilted a bit much given the high tee -- but they are significantly improved.[3]

[1] His back arm dominance is very evident in 120FPS video. Also, this isn't just a strength thing because he also does it from the left side.

[2] This of course is why Howard emphasizes that the elbow should stay below the hands or else the barrel will dump down out of plane.

[3] Now I get the reason for Howard's lines on the net that his students hit into. My son was uppercutting too much (e.g. 30+ degrees) to try to elevate the ball (and to deal with slower 4th grade fastballs that drop more). I am going to try something similar to Howard's solution to explain to my son the trajectory that he should be going for.

Last edited:
T

theaddition

Chris,

There is no intent to pick apart the swing. Just a quick reply on "some" of the issues with the above swing.

Just a friendly reply.

Exactly correct.
With regards to bat drag:
The front shoulder is gone (it's totally unloaded).
FFS hopefully will post my document, or at least the stills, showing the difference between the position of the shoulders and the back elbow AT HEEL PLANT.
As far as the front leg, spot on again.
Though the front leg is a lot easier to fix than bat drag.

I could not have said it better. This could be the best reply to bat drag I have ever read.
Well done Shawn.

Now let's get to the fix.

Anyone?

I'll say again, the kid has a good swing for his age and will advance from this point quite a bit.

BD

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Chris.

One cue that may work is a thought of the elbows sliding across a table.

The elvis move first while the hands are at the back shoulder or abit behind. And as rotation begins with the hip leading the way, the elbows sliding across the table for a short period of time before the lead elbow goes up and out.

Elbows being connected to arms and shoulders just behind rotation of hips.

His second swing has a lot of good stuff.

Heard you Met Howard and Crystal. The big guy keeps it interesting doesn't he?

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Chris

Thanks for posting some swings for review.

Allot of people on here just talk a good game but never show anyone they work with.

Will post one of Casey in the near future for your comments

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I normally just go to you tube then post a link

Happy Turkey Day to Dana and all the other people on this site.

Any day off work is a good day!!!

Straightleg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12