Sarah Pauly--super slow motion video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Hal is right she would be putting 5 -11 spin on the ball, is that is a drop curve, I don't know. What grabs me right away is the length of her stride which is nothing extraordinary by looking at just this video but what a set of levers she has..wow! Her mechanics are great as you would expect but you can't teach long and tall and as any one who has worked with athletes, some have fast twitch muscles and some don't. As coaches the best we hope for, is to get what ever potential the player has out.

May 7, 2008
Great to see, question though

Great video and thank you to Rick for the contribution. when I analyzed the video I had a few questions. I noticed Sarah is wearing an elbow/forearm pad on her throwing arm. Does she have problems with that area of her arm or is it to protect her body if she slams the elbow into her side? Secondly, it seems to me that the pitch is a curve ball. When watching the release point she turns her hand to the left getting under the ball, but once the ball is released she continues to turn her hand over and extends her arm straight out. That second part seems like a superfluous movement that could only contribute to more arm stress. Am I right with this evaluation? If so, then why is she doing it?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Sarah is a great pitcher and I saw her pitch well against the Olympic team last May. Her wrist action at release is rather unique. I prefer a follow through to the opposite side of the body. Lower for the drop, and upwards toward the shoulder for the riseball. She has her follow through out in front of her body with her wrists and elbow taking the strain of stopping the arm.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I think that another possibility with the cocked wrist, seemingly starting right out of the glove; She might ALSO be doing this to help conceal the grip until the last instant. All the batter would see through the backswing would be the back of the hand.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee