Sarah Pauly Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2019
I've watched video and notice her drive leg shoelaces do not face catcher such as Hillhouse advocates. Is this a must or something you let girls do in their finish. Because everyone of my pitchers seems to have foot go behind.
thx in advance,
Coach McCombs

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't see the shoelaces facing the catcher as an absolute must. For me, what matters more is what's happening at the hip. I often tweak the orientation of the drag leg to get what I'm looking for in that hip (or hip relative to forearm).

Aug 21, 2008
IMO, shoelaces facing the catcher IS important because it means #1) the hip is closing at the right time and #2) it insures that the foot is not dragging heavy, the least amount of foot is dragging on the ground. Ideally we want to glide over the top of the ground, not dive a hole to China which holds back power. And #3) helps to insure the foot is dragging straight, not doing the bowling leg behind the front leg.

Now keep in mind, it's never going to be perfect. In the photos above, Sarah looks like she's on the toes as she drags, even if the shoelaces are not pointing 100% straight forward. If I was coaching Sarah, based off the pics above, I would not worry about her back foot at all. I'm sure that will be a HUGE relief to Rick and Sarah... knowing that I approve. ha ha ha ha. (Yes I was being sarcastic).

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802