Same Ole Story..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Have you tried to push back with the front leg/foot to load the hips? Instead of loading up the upperbody or shifting backwards, you push backwards with the front leg/foot against the back hip/leg.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In the first clip/swing posted she doesn't look like she posts up on the front leg compared to the second swing. It looks like the front hip moves backwards.

May 12, 2016
There is minimal scap load and once it’s loaded it immediately released. Scap load needs maintained as long as possible. Have her take her stance without holding a bat but hands where she would have the bat. Pull the top elbow back until the scap pinches (like you are gonna punch somebody with top hand). Where her hands are it may take a long pull back to feel the scap pinch. She can do this dry. Pull back (scap pinch) from her stance, stride and hold scap pinch, start to rotate lower body while continuing to maintain scap pinch. Once she gets the feel for scap pinch, get her to stride and scap pinch at same time.
Thanks CB... I actually thought she was over baking the scap a little

May 12, 2016
I think she might be posting up on the front leg/hip a little too much. The front hip doesn't move backwards as much as it is posting up. That might be part of what your seeing as standing up on the front leg.
It's been said before and I can't disagree... I don't like the upward motion at all. Been struggling with that 1. I also don't like how the elbows seem to hug the torso which (swing occurs around the body, not out from the body). The barrel seems to take an abrupt right hand turn at contact instead of hitting through the ball

Nov 16, 2017
Here's another vid tonight obviously with some focus on not loading on top of her back knee too much and loading more into.

Don't like how the hands are dropping in this video and elbows wrapping around trunk. Tee is set up a little too far out front as well

MOST IMPORTANTLY is this. Her lead arm is not getting up in a strong position. Her lead elbow is down during the swing. This cannot happen and must be addressed first.

Note: I use clips of Donaldson because I believe he does just about everything right.

Next, I see is she is in the back knee not the back hip. Have her try to almost straighten her back knee on the gather.

Notice Josh's rear knee, that will tell you where the weight is. If the knee is very bent the weight will be there. I know she is a no strider but this is still the case.

She is all back, all forward. She is not getting to fyb position. She never gets back to 50/50 with the scap loaded. Not getting back to a balanced power position before starting the swing. Front shoulder should be pointing to 2nd base with slight downward angle.

Lastly, She is C shaping at the end of her swing. I see a lot of people teaching this lean back but I don't like it. It is just like pitching in that there is no reason to pull energy away from your target. (hello elbow).

May 12, 2016
Have you tried to push back with the front leg/foot to load the hips? Instead of loading up the upperbody or shifting backwards, you push backwards with the front leg/foot against the back hip/leg.
No we have not tried that

May 12, 2016
Thanks for the detailed analysis James... I am not disagreeing, but I need to ask follow up questions and provide my own analysis for greater understanding.

1. Lead elbow, yes there is a lot to be desired about her lead elbow. I've mentioned a couple of things already. However I do see a lot of MLB hitters in this position at this portion of their swing

Isn't the most important thing that it get's worked back up after? Wow, optical illusion, the purple white bat in the BG is not the bat she is swinging, lol.

2. Back knee, been working hard on this, creeps back into the swing at points. As you can see 1st pic compared to 2nd, there is a difference in how much weight is placed there. Still I know she leans over it too far, but at least she is not sitting on it so much

3. FYB, all back all forward. I know what this means, but due to my lack of experience I may be missing this one. I see the pic below as a FYB position. Heel is planted, scap still engaged, hands still back, coil still remains in upper body, back forearm still 180 degrees with ground, front shoulder slight declined, etc. This is an important one to me, so if I'm missing something please let me know. FYI, I believe she is leaking forward a little at heel plant. And due to her leaning over the back foot too far she does not get back to the 50/50 position. This is something we will continue to work on.

The C shape is natural, not a teach point by me.. but I believe this happens as the front hip is pulled back.

Thanks again, my DD has a lot of work to do. However I've made a commitment to understand what is being said to me so I can help her in the best way I can.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Ideally I want her to get to a 50/50, 60/40 whatever position at heel plant, from that position I don't want to see anymore forward progression of her body. I believe this will aid in the head popping up, reduce head movement and create proper extension through the ball. She's taking her lower body out of the swing.. :(. IMO her lower body is spent before contact

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the detailed analysis James... I am not disagreeing, but I need to ask follow up questions and provide my own analysis for greater understanding.

1. Lead elbow, yes there is a lot to be desired about her lead elbow. I've mentioned a couple of things already. However I do see a lot of MLB hitters in this position at this portion of their swing

View attachment 14593

Isn't the most important thing that it get's worked back up after? Wow, optical illusion, the purple white bat in the BG is not the bat she is swinging, lol.
View attachment 14594

2. Back knee, been working hard on this, creeps back into the swing at points. As you can see 1st pic compared to 2nd, there is a difference in how much weight is placed there. Still I know she leans over it too far, but at least she is not sitting on it so much

View attachment 14595

View attachment 14596

3. FYB, all back all forward. I know what this means, but due to my lack of experience I may be missing this one. I see the pic below as a FYB position. Heel is planted, scap still engaged, hands still back, coil still remains in upper body, back forearm still 180 degrees with ground, front shoulder slight declined, etc. This is an important one to me, so if I'm missing something please let me know. FYI, I believe she is leaking forward a little at heel plant. And due to her leaning over the back foot too far she does not get back to the 50/50 position. This is something we will continue to work on.
View attachment 14597

The C shape is natural, not a teach point by me.. but I believe this happens as the front hip is pulled back.

Thanks again, my DD has a lot of work to do. However I've made a commitment to understand what is being said to me so I can help her in the best way I can.

1. That pitch Betts hit was very low. The lead arm has to get up above the plane of the pitch. So if you freeze frame a really low MLB pitch you can be fulled into thinking a weak lead arm is the same. It is not. The lead elbow needs to get up before contact. If it gets up after contact it's too late. The ball she was swinging at was at her belt.

2. Good keep working on feeling no weight in the knee.

3. She doesn't pull back as she makes her forward move. Your hands, shoulders should be working backwards as you move forward.

Check out 1:39 in this video.

In the pic you posted above, her upper body is angled back, she is not over center, she has no downward shoulder angle.

Lastly the C shape is a red flag for a hitter who is not driving through the ball. It is a big sign that she is pulling off the ball instead of hitting through it. In a way it is a no teach but it is a result of not having the running through the ball approach. If she does the happy gilmore drill and still c shapes I would be amazed. Get some forward momentum into the ball and then try to c shape, be careful cause you could hurt yourself. Your swing is supposed to simulate a running start.

In C shaping the player is most always feeling like they are pulling with their front shoulder than driving with their back shoulder. Give it a try to tell her to forget about the front shoulder and drive the back shoulder though.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
Looking again at that last 2 pics your posted, her bottom hand grip is contributing to her elbow position being off. 14602

See how her bottom wrist is bent back. She should have a straight wrist at this point. Her bottom hand grip needs to be turned forward so that the hand and forearm are in alignment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28