Safety during pitching warm-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
The other night at our first play-off game for our local LL I had my daughter and another pitcher staying loose by having a catch using the windmill motion (something we've done all season) when the field umpire notices and states LL rules don't allow this. I haven't been able to confirm the rule, but apparently the "catcher" needs to be wearing a catchers mask even if standing up. I understand the need for protection if a pitcher is warming up throwing full power and using her complete pitching motion, but to me the girls were just having a catch using the windmill motion. I was supervising and making sure no bystanders were near as well.

What do you think? Yes safety is important, but how over regulated should the game be?

Jun 22, 2008
Both high school and ASA rules specify that if any player is catching a pitcher throwing underhand, they must be wearing an approved catchers mask complete with throat protection. An adult, have at it, but a player must be wearing a catchers mask. And it specifically states catchers mask, it can not be a batting helmet with face guard.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I remember this little league rule being enforced when DD played last year.

I am also a proponant of safety and agree with this particular rule. We need to remember that some of the kids playing Little League are beginners and catching for a pitcher can be dangerous because they are not used to seeing a ball coming at them underhand, and at times HARD.

May 13, 2008
I agree with the rule as well. A pitcher should be able to get up to 90% of their pitching speed throwing from the K or slingshot position.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
While I understand the rule and agree that safety is important I guess I find it questionable only in that it's no different than having an overhand catch except for the motion since both are standing. Most girls in our LL majors (excluding my daughter) don't even throw hard.

Appreciate your input!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
LL is trying to keep the rules identical from bb to sb. So, that is where it comes from. With little boys, they all like to try to catch.

I agree that it would make more sense to say "when the catcher is down in a catching position," but it doesn't.

Also, unless the rule has changed an adult cannot warm up a pitcher.

I just advise my student's parents to take their kid away from the field and warm her up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478