Sac bunt/error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Question about a play:
Runner on 3rd, 0 or 1 outs - I can't remember
Batter sac bunts but gets on because of a throwing error to first.
I had to score it an error to get her on base but technically it was a sac as the runner scored.
So now I have an AB that counts against batter's stats.
How should this get scored?
Thanks!

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
There was no way to score it that way with gamechanger. I'm sure I can go back and adjust the stats because it just seems odd to penalize a batter because she got on base ;)

Aug 2, 2019
OK, I've never ran GC, and am not sure I'm right, but if I had the scorebook (an actual book, and a pencil), that's what I'd write down.

It is absolutely unjust to penalize the batter for doing her job, and putting pressure on the defense that forces an error.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Score it a sacrifice and the batter reaches base on the error. No AB charged to the batter.

Oct 14, 2016
It is not a sacrifice if the runner reaches 1st base. It is an error. If you award her a sacrifice because you are only concerned with her stat, then you are not doing the rest of the game justice. You are taking away an error on the thrower.

Your girl still gets an RBI, and her On Base Percentage (to me, more important than Batting Average) gets credited. She is also awarded a base for her total bases.

Better to be longitudinal accurate than by a single game.

Jun 4, 2014
This is correct:

GC allows it. Ball in play, bunt, sac bunt(safe), reached on error.

This is not:

It is not a sacrifice if the runner reaches 1st base. It is an error. If you award her a sacrifice because you are only concerned with her stat, then you are not doing the rest of the game justice. You are taking away an error on the thrower.

Your girl still gets an RBI, and her On Base Percentage (to me, more important than Batting Average) gets credited. She is also awarded a base for her total bases.

Jun 11, 2013

It is a sac and reach on error so the fielder still gets charged with one but the batter does not get charged with an AB. Reaching on an error does not help with on base percentage any more than reaching on a FC does.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
"If an error is committed and the batter reaches base, he is still credited with a sacrifice" per the MLB glossary, if that helps clear anything up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee