running through 1B and then the turn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I'll add another aspect and question...

Q: If its a dropped 3rd by catcher and ball kicks toward 1st base dugout...catcher picks it up in foul territory on 1st base side and fires to the first baseman....can the 1B be on or use the orange "safety base" in foul territory to receive the throw for the out?

(I know the answer;) now after thinking differently when first starting to coach softball....but want to hear from others. Because there have been a few umps and other coaches argue different aspects of this rule.)

You will get different views and arguments because there are different answers. Going to beat this broken record again;) ... know your code. What rule set are you using?

Nov 22, 2019
FWIW, I've seen two girls in the last 5 games get tagged out for veering slightly left. This was 10-U travel with two different umps.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
If they aren't rounding the base or going to 2nd, just turn right. Why not solve the problem from the start instead of leaving it up to the umpire's discretion?

One could argue that even turning to the left is an action towards second base since I doubt they are planting their foot and turning 180 degrees then returning to 1st in the exact same line.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
run through the bag; break down looking over right shoulder; if you see the ball rolling away from you RUN; if you don't see the ball rolling away from you STOP

Sometime we need work on the natural tendency to keep running? ;)

!cid__A44B95B21C4BB2408109F4B7A38D61BA@sct-15-20-2387-20-msonline-outlook-af673.gif

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
lmao, I just now saw where I posted this. Thanks for all your insights! I still have my runners, when applicable, go straight through the bag, stop, and return to first by turning left.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478