Running a Practice with 1 Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
I've done this for a long while coaching my 16U rec. team during the summer. Normally, I practice one night a week, so this would have to be adjusted for 5 practices a week, etc. Here's a mock template of what I normally do - Practice for me runs 6-8pm.

5:45pm - Players are required to be on the field, warming up/stretching or taking pitching reps with a catcher.
6pm - Circle up - Discuss plans for practice - Send players on "big run" (basically a triangle from HP to RF pole, then to LF pole, then a sprint to 3B and home)
6:05-6:20pm - Infield "rapid fire" practice - ground balls rolled/thrown to positions with a throw to 1B. 1/2 the girls at the position, other half at 1B - switch after a bucket, then rotate from 3B to SS to 2B.
6:20-6:30pm - Baserunning simulations - Stealing, tag-ups, hit-and-runs, etc. Often with live pitching and occasional throw-downs. **Follow-Up with Water Break**
6:35-7:05pm - Group Work (Some combination of hitting drills for half the team with the other half doing outfield drills [ground balls, fly balls, triangle drills, etc.]). After 15 minutes, the girls switch.
7:05-7:30pm - Second Round of Group Work - Might involve live pitching with bunting practice for half, other half working on infield plays (double plays, bunt coverage, etc.) **Follow-Up with Water Break**
7:30-7:50pm - Some kind of scrimmage/simulation-based game to get all the girls active and engaged.
7:50-8pm - Cool down, recap practice, go over any housekeeping information, clean-up dugout/equipment, and leave.

I vary this every weekly practice (specific drills, etc), but this is USUALLY the template I follow. I always have a secondary plan in place in case main pitcher/catcher or multiple girls can't make it, but they know I frown on missing practices and it will prevent them from getting game time, so I usually have little issues. ~GC~

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478